HELP! Merc 650 Peeing Question

zeppo1001

Recruit
Hello all! I just was given a 1973 Mercury 650. It had been sitting a year or two in a barn. I when to start the engine, so I hooked up the water boot over the lower unit and turned on the hose....no water is comming out of the pee hole. So I guess my first question is will water come out the pee hole if the engine is not running? Before starting I disconnected the soft rubber tube that connects the pee hole to the block and cleared the pee hole (a mud wasp filled the end in) and made sure the tube was clean. I tried blowing compressed air down the fitting on the block and I could barely hear a hissing coming out of the lower end. I hooked all back up and started the engine breifly.....no water! I started it again and reved it up breifly and still no water. Does anyone have any ideas? I really do not want to take the lower unit off yet....I have read all the horror stories about engines not shifting after removing it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

nbnewbie

Seaman
Re: HELP! Merc 650 Peeing Question

sitting a year or 2 in a barn i would suggest a water pump impeller whether it needs one or not

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: HELP! Merc 650 Peeing Question

Zeppo, Water will not circulate in the motor, nor with the telltale operate, unless the motor is running. Normal operation of that motor will result in water exiting the gratings above the antiventilation plate, above and behind the prop.

The telltales clog easily.

The PP is correct, change the waterpump impeller, at your first chance.