engine wont start

gldnrober

Recruit
I have an 85 Renken I/O with a 3.0L 4 cylinder OMC. after a year and a half in storage (outside) i pulled it out to get ready for the summer. changed the oil, plugs, points, and battery. now I cant get it to turn over. it did turn over twice but not enough to even think about starting. I dont hear a click in the starter solenoid (other than the 2 times it turned over) tried to jump directly to the starter with a known good battery but nothing. also my tilt drive doesnt work i hear the solenoid click but it doesnt move the outdrive at all. any help would be greatly appreciated.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer
Re: engine wont start

Engine: its either locked up or the starter is toast.. You can pull the plugs and turn the engine by putting a socket on the end of the crankshaft or put it in gear and try to turn the prop by hand.... Pulling the plugs will make it turn easier..<br /><br />Pull the starter and take it to an autoparts store they will testem for free...<br /><br />The outdrive motor may be shot... dont know much about that set up...<br /><br />Good luck

Norm Malcosky

Seaman
Re: engine wont start

gldnrober,<br /><br />Could be high resistance problems with your battery connections. I would clean (wire brush) both ends of BOTH battery cables. Clean the battery terminals, lubricate them, and reinstall cables - bolting tightly. <br /><br />Don't forget to fully charge the battery (it could be low) and then give it another shot. <br /><br />Keeping my finger crossed that its that simple.