Single Axle to Tantum Axle

jeepnsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone converted or added a second axle to a single axle boat trailer?

Bayliner175xt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Single Axle to Tantum Axle

Hi there, nope but I'm about too.
I'm moving braked axle forward and putting a lazy axle behind that
You need to match the springs and wheels so all 4 wheels share same loads.
I have a Bayliner 175 with a Karavan Trailer, as we load extras in the boat it takes it over the legal limit, it will also tow better.
I'm having mine done by a trailer company just to be on the safe side.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

If only one axle has brakes it should be the rear axle.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If only one axle has brakes it should be the rear axle.

...please explain.

Seems EVERY tandem axle trailer that I have owned (and had only single axle brakes) had the brakes mounted on the FRONT axle.

Logic seems to indicate that the front axle would be the most likely canadiate for brakes as it would receive the bulk of weight transfer during stopping.

Just askin'.............

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

...please explain.

Seems EVERY tandem axle trailer that I have owned (and had only single axle brakes) had the brakes mounted on the FRONT axle.

Logic seems to indicate that the front axle would be the most likely canadiate for brakes as it would receive the bulk of weight transfer during stopping.

Just askin'.............

On a leaf spring trailer with equalizers on the shackles (not the load equalizers on the hitch), applying brakes on the rear axle rotates the axle forward in the front which applies a downward force to the rear of the leaf spring equalizer which in turn takes weight off of the front axle. Here is how Champion trailers describes it:

"When only one brake axle is being installed on a tandem axle trailer, the brakes should be on the rear axle for maximum system performance. Rotational torque applied to axles during braking shifts the equalizer and applies more weight to rear axle. If brakes are installed on the front axle, the wheel may skid during braking. Brakes on rear axle are more effective as the equalizers shifts and the rear tires dig in to the pavement. "

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am in the process of purchasing a new trailer with 1 set of SS pad Breaks. He is putting the breaks on the front axle not the back. Since he is has been doing it for a long time I asume he knows what is best for the 10000 GSI Tandom Torsion Axles Trailer I'm getting.
I'm now confused.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Makes sense to me to have the brakes on the back although my trailer came with brakes on the front which always puzzled me. Bottom line, if your boat weighs enough to be on a tandem axle trailer, you should have brakes on both axles which is the reason I added brakes to my other axle.

Also...pretty funny the title of this thread is called "Tantum". Tantum is actually a kind of correct term if using Latin.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I am in the process of purchasing a new trailer with 1 set of SS pad Breaks. He is putting the breaks on the front axle not the back. Since he is has been doing it for a long time I asume he knows what is best for the 10000 GSI Tandom Torsion Axles Trailer I'm getting.
I'm now confused.

On a torsion axle trailer it doesn't matter since one won't affect the other. My comment was in regard to a leaf spring tandem with an equalizer. As Bruceb58 said, you should really have brakes on both axles.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Torsion axles DO NOT have an equalizer (another issue to discuss) so brakes can go on any axle. Trailers with an equalizer can step over humps and bumps or drop a wheel into a depression without transfering loading to other tires. Torsion axles have totally independent wheel suspension and as long as the terrain is flat, they work greak. However, they have limited wheel travel so going over a steep obstruction such as a service station drive, it is possible for one or both wheels on an axle coming off the ground or at least unloading to the point where that loading is transfered to the other wheels. That can overload the torsion axle and in extreme cases pop a tire. Don't get all worked up about this. I said it CAN happen. I didn't say it WOULD happen. Like any other vehicle, being aware of it's characteristics can prevent issues. DO NOT try to pull a heavily loaded tandem torsion axle trailer over a curb or deep depression. All of this depends on how heavily loaded the trailer is. The reason this is not a problem on an equalizer axle is all wheels always share the load due to the equalizer.

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

I understand that the breaks should be on both axles. In fact the Florida Law DOT states that they must be on both axels. However, most trailer manufacturers I talked to said that the DOT law is not being enforced so I chose 1 axel since I'll bet that most trailers on the road that have breaks don't work anyway especially if you dump the boat in salt water like I do. No mater how well you wash them after each launch they rust up and lock. I will be getting SS Kodiak disk breaks for my next trailer. I hope this will last longer then what I had on my old trailer.

rwidman

Lieutenant

I understand that the breaks should be on both axles. In fact the Florida Law DOT states that they must be on both axels. However, most trailer manufacturers I talked to said that the DOT law is not being enforced so I chose 1 axel since I'll bet that most trailers on the road that have breaks don't work anyway especially if you dump the boat in salt water like I do. No mater how well you wash them after each launch they rust up and lock. I will be getting SS Kodiak disk breaks for my next trailer. I hope this will last longer then what I had on my old trailer.

Yep, no sense obeying the law if you've heard that they may not be enforcing it! :rolleyes:

I hade brakes (not breaks) on both axles of my trailer and they worked just fine. I launched and retrieved in salt water. Actually, I added brakes to the second axle myself and it was a noticable improvement in stopping ability.

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

I understand what you are saying but with pulling my boat attached to my Tahoo and not have the brakes work and being able to stop with no problem I will try the brakes on 1 axle and if it doesn't brake properly I will add the second axle of brakes. Safety is #1 I agree.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I see tandem axle trailers all the time with a single set of 10" brakes on one axle, you have to wonder about the wisdom have having in effect a vehicle behind you that can weight up to 7000 lbs (2 3500 lb axles) with a pair of 10" brakes. Now the tow vehicle does contribute some to the stopping of the trailer but there is no way it can or should make up half of the GVWR in terms of stopping capacity. In fact if you go back to the issue of single vs tandem, you'd have better brake performance with a single that had a 5200 lb axle with a pair of 12" brakes versus a tandem with a pair of 10" brakes on one 3500 lb axle...

On way to look at it is to figure your tow vehicle's GVWR, that's what the manufacturer thinks the brakes are capable of reliably stopping. In many cases, this is only 1000-1500 lbs greater than the vehicles curb weight, so that doesn't allow much for making up for an under-braked trailer.

When I upgrade my single its getting a 5200 axle with a pair of 12" Kodiak discs, that's well in excess of what the boat and trailer weighs....

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

The law covers all trailers, leaf spring and torsion or whatever. In the case of a leaf spring tandem, the rear axle is going to do most of the braking because of how the equalizer between the leaf springs works. This is not true on a torsion axle trailer. In either case it is better to have brakes on both axles.

States have different laws regarding this and my recommendation is to follow the laws of your state. If the state requires both axles to have brakes then so be it. All of my tandem axle trailers have brakes on all axles.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For what its worth, the law here in B.C. states that a tandem axle trailer must have brakes on both axles,a tri axle must have brakes on the front and rear,the center is optional