exhaust manifold rust tolerance?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
On my 68 120 mercruiser, the manifold block off plate rusted through and leaks..I did find a replacement..But am thinking I am putting my motor at risk by not getting a new (or dang near new but used) exhaust mani..

There is a lot of rust in the 42 year old mani..is there any set thickness like rotors, at XXXXX mm's they are shot?

Is there any rustproofing/coating/miracle in a can cure for the red cancer inside the manifold?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: exhaust manifold rust tolerance?

Since the thinnest part of the manifold is in a place that can't be seen or reached by normal methods you wil have to cut the manifold into sections to find it.
The minimum thickness allowed is 1/32" or .032".

In other words, if you have doubts, replace it. You can't see all the places that can go bad.

Bondo

Staff member

Is there any rustproofing/coating/miracle in a can cure for the red cancer inside the manifold?

Ayuh,... It's called Replacement,... Comes from a Checkbook, not a Can....:D

a70eliminator

Captain

Saltwater eats them 3 to 1 is what I've heard, fresh water manifolds last a long time, usually it's improper winterizing that takes them not rot. I've never heard anyone talk about sonic testing if replacements aren't available.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ayuh,... It's called Replacement,... Comes from a Checkbook, not a Can....:D

Get to the point Bond-O...whatcha trying to say? ;)

I'll save my pop bottles and go shopping

Bondo

Staff member

Get to the point Bond-O...whatcha trying to say?

Ayuh,... If there was a Miracle drug in a can that Stopped/ Prevented Rust in manifolds,....
We northerners would be dippin' our pickups in the stuff.....
We fix our pickups with the Same Tool I mentioned.....;)

Best I've found is Grease,...
'course,.. That won't work in a manifold,....:D

adeneo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Volvo recommends replacing manifolds every four years if run in salt water, I'd say 42 years is a good run in any set of conditions.

Buying a new maifold is usually a good investment, if it rusts thru, water can run back in the engine, and eventually a new engine is the only option.