Please educate me on the FICHT model outboards

mskrom

Cadet
Hi folks-

I'm looing at a late 90's Triton bass boat that has been outfitted with a 2003 Evinrude 225hp outboard. The marine dealership selling the boat says it's a 225 HO ETEC, but the cowling says its a 225 FICHT RAM.

I don't know much about these motors, other than what I've read and heard, mostly negative. I wonder if any of you could help support or dispel some of the concerns I have?

- I have heard that the FICHT motors were trouble, but that that is generally concentrated on the years 99 and earlier, and most of these were the smaller motors (under 175hp).
Is this a good rule of thumb?

- A 2003 model would be right about the time ETECs came out, is this true? Maybe this motor has a different cowling for some reason?

- On these motors, I have heard that there are relatively minor fixes or upgrades that can be done that solve the issues that these motors (seem to) have. Is this a correct statement?

Thanks guys, any further info you can give me to help me make an educated decision would be appreciated. I have used the search function and a lot of what comes back isn't entirely related to my basic questions-

freetime99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Please educate me on the FICHT model outboards

THE 2003 MOTOR WOULD NOT BE AfICHT, but is a DI Evinrude by Bombardier. It's actually an improved version of the same design as Ficht. Unless it purrs like a kitten after taking it out twice, I'd avoid it like the plague. I've owned one and the experience was no fun.