Fuel valve

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
My mercruiser 3.0 has a valve on the fuel line inlet to the mechanical fuel pump.. I've been turning this valve off when the boat isn't being used, but do I really need to mess with it during the season? There shouldn't be any pressure in the tank or fuel line since the system is vented.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Fuel valve

Shouldn't need to close it.

Have you checked to see if PO removed the AntiSiphon valve? It will be at the tank end of the fuel hose.

Bondo

Staff member

My mercruiser 3.0 has a valve on the fuel line inlet to the mechanical fuel pump..

Ayuh,.... There Shouldn't be..... Wonder what the previous owner was tryin' to Bandaid,..??

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

Well, luckily I know the previous owner (my father), he didn't install the valve. There was one owner before him that was the original owner for 2 years, maybe they installed it.. Maybe it was used to run the pump and carb dry before winter storage??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It shouldn't be there. Sounds like a good place for a future air leak. There is no reason to run the carb and pump dry during the winter. It actually causes more harm than good. Air and moisture causes corrosion.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

The next time I am doing maintenance I will just remove it then... Until then I'll just leave it open.. It's a really nice ball valve too.. strange.