85 100hp Johnson with steering issues

GLE3

Cadet
17.5 Thompson Tri Hull

I really can't move my steering wheel in either direction. I believe my steering is a rotary system. It is only one cable from the steering arm (that bolts to the outboard) to a rectangular device that is under the steering wheel(helm). I actually disconnected the steering arm and the outboard moves back and forth freely. I also can move the arm (rod) in and out about a quarter inch while still mounted to a outer tube that holds it in place. My question is do these rotary systems sell seperate parts to add to an assembly or do you have to buy the whole system? Is there a way to figure out what part of the system is bad exactly?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 85 100hp Johnson with steering issues

If you boat in an area where salt can get to the steering system, probably the best thing is to replace the whole mess. Once you get corrosion between the sheath and the cable, not very likely it can be revived (and last). If you can buy just the cable assembly, that's another possibility.

GLE3

Cadet

Thanks for the quick reply! Actually I am just a freshwater fisherman on the Great Lakes. If I were to attempt to save some cash and try a "revival", could I get some insight on what I would have to do? Sounds like I have to find a way to loosen up the corrosion inside the sheath...

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I've never bothered ... just replaced the bad cable assy.