Water mixed into oil

setlack55

Cadet
I have been running my motor a lot lately with the ear muffs on. Yesterday I noticed one of the "pee holes" on the lower leg had some oily water dripping out of it. When I changed the oil on my lower leg it was kind of milky coloured. Is it possible that by having the ear muffs on the water shot into the oil area?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Water mixed into oil

yes, water got into the gearcase, but muffs don't cause a good seal to fail...it just failed from wear & tear.

three possibilities: drive shaft, prop shaft and shift rod o-ring. what motor we talkin bout here?

setlack55

Cadet

The motor is a 1971 Johnson 60hp with hydro electric drive

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

Most definatley time for a reseal in the lower unit. I would do the whole thing and replace water pump since you have it apart.

setlack55

Cadet

I have refilled the leg with new oil and pushed the water out. I would like to take the boat on the water just for a quick test. Will the leg be okay for a short period of time?

robert graham

Admiral

It'll be fine for a short time, but you'll have to drain and refill your lower unit everytime you run the motor until you fix the leak. Remove prop and check for fishing line wrapped around prop shaft and under that seal, which can cause seal to leak and/or fail. Check washers/gaskets under your lower unit drain plugs, if they're warn out or bad, that could be the leak, and an easier fix than new seals.