So how bad did I mess this up?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
When we bought our home it had a pond in the back yard. What a maintenance nightmare unless I wanted to invest the money for the proper pumps and such, and I didn't like it anyway. So yesterday I decide to bust up the poorly concreted surround and fill the thing in. I almost had it filled with concrete within a foot of the top when I realized I didn't perforate the liner. Have I created a mudhole? Will I need to pull all the concrete out? Is there anything I could pour on the liner to eat holes in the bottom of it. I have about a 10'w x 4'd hole that is almost full of rock now.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: So how bad did I mess this up?

Concrete does not require drainage to set. Seems unnecessary to use concrete, though. Why didn't you just fill it with soil??

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Grab a 6' or 8' steel bar,+ jamb it though the liner, then continue filling with dirt...

Summer Fun

Banned

Have I created a mudhole?
When the water evaporates you'll be fine. Keep filling yours in to the top and let it dry up. :)
I filled in a good many of ponds and it takes them afew weeks to dry up. :)

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I may not have explained myself well. The pond was lined with the rubber type liner. The concrete was surrounding it like a pool deck. I busted out the concrete and threw it into the lined hole, and was going to put the last 1-2 feet of dirt. The pond was dry when I filled with rock. I'll try the rod thing and see if I can drive it in there and at least get one hole in the bottom. If nothing else I still have a teenager on house arrest (by me not the cops) that I'm sure would love to remove some concrete peices and perforate the bottom for me.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm with Bond-O

Grab some rebar and poke several holes in the liner.

You can wait till the evaporates... But what happens when it rains? Or snow melts.. You'll have a sloppy or squishy mess there.

If you want to rent.. Rent a hack hammer. Have the rental place put a junk tip on it. Weld a 5' piece of rebar on to it. That will make quick work... You'll have to have a 2nd person to help pull it out.

Summer Fun

Banned

The pond was dry when I filled with rock.
Ok then keep filling it in and don't worry about that liner.
Once you cap it off with dirt fill / topsoil you'll still be fine. :)

JustJason

Vice Admiral

It's to bad M80's are illegal... this would be the perfect application for a few :)

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Poke holes as previously mentioned and then fill the area until it is crowned so that water is more inclined to drain away rather than toward the old pond liner. As it settles over the years you may have to refill to a crown once again.
I would remove the liner and be done with it. Every time I dig in my yard it's like a peek into the life of the people who owned this place before me. :)

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Poke holes as previously mentioned and then fill the area until it is crowned so that water is more inclined to drain away rather than toward the old pond liner. As it settles over the years you may have to refill to a crown once again.
I would remove the liner and be done with it. Every time I dig in my yard it's like a peek into the life of the people who owned this place before me. :)

How many cars and 8 foot sattelite dishes have you found????? :mad:

Nandy

Commander

For future reference... when you need to fill a hole just go to your local craigslist and see all the post for free dirt. Some even deliver if you are close to their location. Cheaper than the concrete you bought and a lot more natural choice.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I didn't buy the concrete. It was already poured around the pond. I threw it in the hole so I didn't have to haul it off.

waterinthefuel

Commander

He worded that poorly. When most people say they filled something with concrete it means they backed a concrete truck up to it and began to pour. This guy means he used the old concrete broken up and threw it in the pond.

I couldn't figure out why he used concrete either until I realized what he meant.

scrawnyronny

Seaman Apprentice

Yep. Did the same thing. :rolleyes: Filled up a pond and now every time it rains its a sloppy mushy mess. Tried to punch holes in the liner but that doesn't seem to working out real well. At least I don't have concrete chunks to make it harder when I have to dig it out.:D Neighbors want it done soon as they are not fond of the skeeters I'm breeding.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I've come to the coclusion that I'd better do an hours work now rather than alot of hours later. I'll just pull the chunks of concrete out enough to cut a hole in the bottom.

KRS

Banned

One 'battle pack' of 30-06 ammo (500 rounds).

One M1 Garand.

A few hours later, lots of holes in the liner and a few unhappy neighbors.

KRS