93 johnson gt150 trim issue

patton3268

Recruit
2 weeks ago my trim/tilt stopped working. Several times playing with the trim switches (have 3) it would go up then stop, go down then stop and now I get neither. I pulled the plate off the relays and can clearly hear them click properly when I go up, and then again when I go down. Every once in a while it will move very slightly. I am thinking bad trim motor. What other tests can I do to verify other than pull the motor and apply 12volts to it?

blownincome

Cadet
Re: 93 johnson gt150 trim issue

I have a 1990 Jouhnson GT that has the exact same problem, the trim will move a few inches then stop and it is making me crazy. I found out that I needed a new trim motor by taking 2 sewing needles and sticking them through the 2 wires going into the trim motor and I checked if current was making it to the motor when it stoped, I had my father in law hold the light tester while I hit the switch and sho nuff I it was still gettin juice so I had to have it replaced. They run abut 150-250 depending on which 1 you need, 2wire 1 wire 2 bolt 3 bolt and so on. try that and good fishing
!!!!!

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes put direct power to the motor without using the switch and you will see if it is the switch or the motor and you will probably find out it's the motor (brushes). You can pull this apart and try and fix but to save time and headaches you may want to check Amazon for a new trim motor, I got mine from there for $80 brand new OMC.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

99% bad motor. rareelectrical.com has the motor at an excellant price, free shipping.