water in cylinder

DanielR

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Another topic with water in the cylinder, but not the typical case.
Engine is 350 roller chevy.

With riser/manifold removed when cranking (without all the plugs in place) water shoots out of the plug #8 and exhaust outlet.
Every piston rotation water comes out without end.
I have popped the drain plug in the lower part of the block to drain the water, and thats when it stopped leaking. Over night and assured the cylinder was dry i run the compression test and resulted in 140psi, added some oil in it with same result 140psi.
I havent pulled the intake manifold or head yet.
What are the suggestions?

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: water in cylinder

What were the other cylinders? I get 170 psi on mine 5.7 roller/vortec, and a 140psi on one would be low. Also crack can be ahead of the intake valve. Does water leak in when engine sitting and valves closed? Try pressurizing the engine with air and see if you can hear where its leaking. Otherwise, teardown and inspect to find where the crack is.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

if it's a saltwater block, id pull the head and have a looksee, I bet either the head or manifold is rotted out.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

shouldnt get water in #8 from the manifold.dosent flow thru it. cracked block near the bottom of the stroke would not affect compression readings.more likely the head rotted thru .

DanielR

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ive pulled the head and I found the head gasket was blown by the water packet.
Oil came out as gray mud like substance.
Time to rebuild the top end. I will gamble assuming the block is good, because if i take the boat out of water it will not come back this summer.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

You pulled the exhaust manifolds off with the boat in the water???

John_S

Rear Admiral

Just remember you are playing with a big hole that leads to lots of water coming in, if you get below the water line.