NISSAN 6hp-4srtroke, 2002 idle problems

JOSEPHC

Cadet
have 2002 6hp nissan 4 stroke..ran ok for first couple of years, then it began to
cut out at idle. I then used a mixture of about 20% Techron and 80% gas and
let it run for about 2 hours....it fixed the problem. I now put some techron in the
gas(not as high as 20%) and it seems to keep the carb from gumming up.
Techron is an automotive product for gas treatment and has a good reputation.
My question is did I do any harm to the engine running such a high conc. of
Techron for the 2 hours?...thanks

pvanv

Admiral
Re: NISSAN 6hp-4srtroke, 2002 idle problems

Probably no harm. Only potential problem that comes to mind is that some additives (not sure about Chevron Techron) may contain very aggressive solvents, that could dry out or dissolve plastic or rubber parts in the fuel system. That's one symptom of using E-10 gas in fiberglass tanks. Since it was only a couple of hours, and is still running OK, you are probably fine.

JOSEPHC

Cadet

Thanks for your reply and input. The reason I asked the question is that the
idle problem is slowly returning and I may have to use the cleaning solution with Techron again in the near future.
One reason I was not too concerned with the rubber and plastic components is that all modern gas has some similar solvent present nowadays to prevent
fuel injectors from sticking although to a much lower concentration.
More of a concern may be what affect it has on the lubrication of the piston rings. The automotive repair industry use a high conc. of solvents to clean sticking fuel injectors, although, probably not for as long a duration.
My thinking at the time was that if the motor ran ok at that concentration that the likelyhood of damage would be minimal.
It may be a good idea to start with 10% Techron/90% gas or lower, run it for a couple of hours. If it works ,fine, if not, try 12.5% etc.
A good tip I learned from this forum is to run the engine dry after each use and this may prevent the problem from recurring.
This is a great forum with allot of helpful and knowledgeable members.
Thanks
Joe

pvanv

Admiral

4-stroke gas does not lube the rings at all, so that's not a worry. There isn't even any tetra-ethyl lead in pump gas any more. Odds are that your "treatment" did a partial, but temporarily acceptable, job of cleaning out the low-speed passages. However... the only foolproof way to clean that carb is by pulling it, disassembling it, soaking it in proper carb dip, and washing it out.