Another Decarb question

sacalait59

Cadet
I know it has been asked a lot, but how do you decarb an outboard? I have a 78 20hp tiller. Do i pour seafoam into the carb?

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Another Decarb question

Kind of a funny thing sometimes. I have a poor running Evinrude that I know needs de-carbing, but it runs so bad I can't get it done.

If yours runs well enough to do this is what many do.
Mix one gallon of 50-1 fuel and add 1/2-3/4 of a pint of Seafoam into it. Put the remaining Seafoam in a spray bottle. Run the motor on this mix and get it warmed up. Shut it down and remove the plugs and spray a good amount into the cylinders. Let it sit 10-15 minutes and fire it up again. If you can spray some in the carb while the motor is under load. It will smoke like crazy.

I am hoping to get my issues resolved so my motor runs good enough to do this weekend. I do my old lawn eguiptment every coue of years. It does really do the trick.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mercury sells it in a pressurized spray can. All you have to do is spray it into the carbs while it's running. Smokes like crazy. Stall it and then let it sit for 15 minutes then start it up and run it to clear it out

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mercury sells it in a pressurized spray can. All you have to do is spray it into the carbs while it's running. Smokes like crazy. Stall it and then let it sit for 15 minutes then start it up and run it to clear it out

Yes, Mercury sells it, but if they don't have it you can get Seafoam "Deep Creep" in a pressurized can or use the regular stuff in a spray bottle. Autozone carries it.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, Deep Creep works just as good