1963 75 hp johnson v4al-15e questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwmsubearcat

Cadet
ok here is my predicament at the current time. i recently bought a 63 johnson 75 hp motor for my boat. the boat originally had an old 55 hp mercury which was stolen. the ignition on the mercury was on the controls. the motor i bought did not come with ignition panel or switch. so all the wiring diagrams i look at has to have ignition, warning lights, ampmeter, and choke switch to hook up. my question is, do i need all these things and the panel or is there some was i can get away with just putting an ignition switch on the boat? also do i need to worry about the choke? because i don't know if it has electric choke. please help me out, i have really hit a snag here trying to get this thing running. thanks.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1963 75 hp johnson v4al-15e questions

I am guessing that you did not get the electrical harness with the motor?

nwmsubearcat

Cadet

i did get the electrical harness with the motor but i'm not sure about the previous owner because the wiring is not connected to the motor. all the wiring that goes to the front of the boat has connectors on it, it just didn't come with the ignition switch or the panel. i have been looking around on the evinrude shop even though it only goes back to 1968 and to get all the parts that go with the panel would be incredibly expensive. i was just wondering if i could get by with just ignition switch. i just don't know because of the electric shift and i don't know if it has electric choke. you can probably tell i don't know much about this stuff so all the help i could get would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

What's your model #, let me see if I can find the wiring for you.

nwmsubearcat

Cadet

it's a 63 johnson 75 hp super seahorse. model number v4al-15e

nwmsubearcat

Cadet

thanks for the reply. i flipped through and i couldn't seem to find what i needed. pages 26 and 27 wouldn't work though. i really just need to know if i just need the ignition switch or if i need the whole cluster with choke switch and ammeter and all because i don't know if it is electric choke. thanks.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Look on the carb and see if there is a choke solenoid, should be easy to spot.
You can wire just the ign switch to get it running, if you have a generator, make sure the wire for the amp guage is isolated so it doesn't short out.
If you have an eletric choke you might want to wire it up, it would save running back and forth to choke the engine.

nwmsubearcat

Cadet

thanks alot, that was what i was looking for. i just need to find the correct ignition switch and i'll probably try to find an ammeter since some serious problems could occur if their is low voltage from what i'm told. one last thing, is there anyway you could find a wiring diagram of where the all the wires would fit on the ign switch that would be amazing. thanks

Fancy_Me_2

Recruit
Re: 1963 75hp johnson V4AL 15E

I am looking for the remote control box and complete wiring harness for this motor...Can anyone tell me where I might find one?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You should start a new post .---And they do not like you searching for used parts on this site.----Your location ??

Status
Not open for further replies.