Hard Steering

pkboat

Recruit
I have a 1992 17 foot inboard/outboard boat. The sterndrive is a Mercruiser. I believe the engine is a 3.0 liter, 120 hp.<br /> I recently installed a hydrofoil stabilizer; attached to the cavitation plate.<br /> <br /><br />The boat steering is pretty stable at about 28 to 30 mph. When I increase speed to full throttle and get the speed up to about 34 to 36 mph it pulls hard to the left. I have checked the skag and it appears to be pretty straight, although is very slightly twisted at the bottom. I also adjusted the trim tab that is located just above the propeller as far as I could but it still pulls pretty hard to the left. <br /><br /> Is the hydrofoil stabilizer the problem? If it is the stabilizer is there anything I can do to correct it? Could running it like this cause any damage to the unit? I do like the improved ability to plane out quicker that the stabilizer adds.

jdcook

Seaman
Re: Hard Steering

Did the boat pull to the left before you put the hydrofoil on?

Cobotr

Seaman
Re: Hard Steering

Did you adjust the trim (above the prop) the correct direction? Lots of people adjust this the wrong direction.<br /><br />Another contributor to this pull is not trimming the outdrive up far enough or going too far up.