'74 50hp shift problem (lower unit ?)

evilgenius518

Recruit
Hi all I have a '74 50hp Johnson with a problem. Today leaving my slip everything seemed ok, it went into reverse just like normal but when I went. From rev through neutral into forward, my motor made a loud clicking sound. It clicked probably six times before catching and going into forward , it ran fine after that until I parked for a while and left my normal spot. When I left it did the same thing just an audible click click click click. I put it into neutral and back into gear and worked fine like it never happened. My question is what is the probable culprit. I changed the fluid at the end of last season and again at the beginning of this season before putting it into the water for the summer. I'm sure this all has to do with the lower unit somehow but is this something of a common fix or a specific common part gone bad (ie clutch, dogg something like that). Any help is as always greatly appreciated and thanks to all in advance. Johnny

evilgenius518

Recruit
Re: '74 50hp shift problem (lower unit ?)

I'm wondering if this could maybe be a cable that needs adjustment but, no one is answering my post so I don't have any feedback. I mean c'mon, is there anyone out there or do I have to re-post this somewhere else here? Bueler.....Bueler......Bueler.....hello anyone out there ?????

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

yes its a cable adjustment,there is a plastic barrel on the cable that screws,you need to screw it so your shifter gets into rev .faster and fuller.dont keep runnin it they way u r or you will blow it

evilgenius518

Recruit

Hey mike thanks. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow when I try to fix it.