Johnson 1983 90hp J90TLCTE Overheat???

jlnkw7

Recruit
Well, I finally got my battery connection issue taken care of. Got the solenoid replaced, tested starter, got it all back together (finally). I was letting it idle for the first time this year in the drive and within a minute or so, some buzzer alarm was going off. My guess, an overheat alarm. The pellar is new, only been in the water a few times. I doubt that is the problem. Water was pumping. Where to begin? I find it odd that the motor would overheat at idle speed.:confused:

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Johnson 1983 90hp J90TLCTE Overheat???

There is only one buzzer , the overheat buzzer in controls. You need to take temp measurements of the heads to confirm, could be a bad sensor in one of the heads.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Attachments

• Crossflow Thermostat Sierra Diagram.jpg
    Crossflow Thermostat Sierra Diagram.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 0

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Nope, sounding the horn means path to ground. Could be overheating , could not be overheating. Measurement of the temp using a laser thermometer will confirm if it IS overheating. Agree with Ezeke, if it is overheating could be a stats, water deflector or a plugged up water passage.

jlnkw7

Recruit

If the passages were clogged, would the water still pump through? Would I see that?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Water passes through the engine cooling passages when the thermostats open, but not when they are closed; the tell-tale should be spitting water all of the time that the engine is running and that should answer your question.

jlnkw7

Recruit

Well, I must have done something right, it's running just fine with no buzzer now. I think their must have been some cobwebs in it or something. Thanks for everyone's responses. I will take her out on a lake test run and see how she does. I suspect the muffs weren't on good.