1983 alpha trim issue still

good to go

Cadet
previously posted 1983 searay twin 5 litres. Commander Console Mount helm with sepate trailer buttons to the side...Starboard trim works on trailer and down on helm but not up. Port trim or trailer not working. Been working at this for weeks and am completely stumped now as I did have it working. Not sure how but I cleaned trailer switch up, moved the wires, and low and behold it worked. Now it has stopped again. I have tried crossing the sensor wires but to no avail. Checked continuity on the 2 wires going to the sensor (2 black wires going from plugs through transom and they read "0". Checked power on red coming from the harness (blue/red/green/purple) and there was power on the red right up to the switch. I hit the switch and get one click and then there is not power from the red at the harness again all the way to the switch. This has to be so simple that I am just frustrating myself. I have checked the 20 amp fuse and it is good. when put fuse back together there is power again all along to the switch until I hit the switch again. Is there a reset somewhere in the solonoid system. My next step will be to check power from battery to solonoid and the grounds to ensure power is getting there. I know I have power coming out of the fuse. I have all the manuals yet cant find the one with the separate trailer switch system. I assume trailer switch gets its power from the red coming out of the 4 wire plug somewhwere but if no power from the plug them its inoperative to. I know I have rambled but I am completely at a loss...HELP...Thanx

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 alpha trim issue still

WD-40 in the switches.You might have to replace the switches.Check for fuses blown.Get a jumper wire and try to operate the solenoids.J

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

6A8-6A13 might helphttp://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/94/94hsa6.pdf
power for the red wire with the fuse comes from the main bus, corrosion there could be the problem

good to go

Cadet

UPDATE....All working....ripped the solonoid pack off the pump motor and cleaned all the terminals, removed ground bolt from the pump housing...ran the tests as indicated and all is good. Put all back together and YEHAWWWWWWW she is working....will wait to do starboard in fall when she comes out. It is definitely the sensor as there is no continuity at the 2 plugs....Thanx for all the input all...Happy boating