Intermitent Starting Problem

ChevyReb

Seaman
I have a 2004 Mercruiser 350 MAG engine and I am trying to troubleshoot an intermittent starting problem.

I have read through the sticky and just want to describe whats going on as I do not have Internet access at the boats location and it's over and hour drive to get there so I want to be as prepared as I can when I go back to get it diagnosed/fixed.

What happens is that when you turn the key to run the FI pump primes and then when you turn key to start I hear a click noise from behind the engine while I have a test light connected to the the "B" post on the starter which does not light when the click happens and so the starter does not turn the engine over. However if you keep turning the key from run to start it eventually engages the starter and the light does come on at the "B" terminal of the starter and the engine is turned. I did not have a mirror and could not get it to not start/click when I wanted to find the source of the clicking noise... (apparently the slave solenoid...BTW what is this for anyway ???)

My guess now after reading the starting sticky is that I have a loose ground or wire in the slave solenoid circuit. Would I be good to do the bypass on that with a jumper wire to see if the problem goes away and if so replace the slave solenoid. This is assuming that I can get to it and the wires are clean and tight.

Also is there a diagram available that would show the location of the slave solenoid on my 2004 Caravelle Mercruiser 350 MAG engine?

Thanks!!!

Lochlomond

Cadet
Re: Intermitent Starting Problem

Page 4A-4 & 4A-5 on service manual number 31 show the full circuit diagram for the starting circuit showing basically 12v from the batterry via the starter, to the 50amp breaker in middle of engine (red) leaves the breaker red/purple and splices into 2, still red/purple to the slave solonoid larrge terminal next to the circuit breaker in middle of engine, other 1 to wiring harness plug which ends up at 20 amp fuse into ignition switch, leaves switch yellow/red through neutral safety switch back to harness plug onto small terminal on slave solonoid, this switches the solonoid which then allows 12v on other large terminal on solonoid valve still yell/red to starter and thats the circuit.

Slave solonoid has 1 other small terminal (2 large & 2 small) that is the ground

This is set up for a 350 mag 2003 hope it helps