1987 bayliner avanti (no crank)

JFLORES12000

Recruit
ok i have basic electrical skills but i'm stumped.engines are 454's. port side will not crank,the y/r wire to starter solenoid has no power when turning key, but if you put a test light to it and turn the key it starts just fine.also put test light at neutal saftey switch and i starts fine. checked neutral saftey for resistance and got zero ohms(good).i lossened and retightened the starter bolts no change. i dont get it why when i use a test light grounded to the block to check for power on y/r wire while cranking does it crank normal.PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: 1987 bayliner avanti (no crank)

Where are you probing the + side of the test light? Bad connection might be completed when you jam the lead from the light in there.

Corrosion is your number one enemy on a boat. start at the battery and pull apart/clean/reattach every connection. An afternoon now will save you years of chasing electrical gremlins on every trip.

JFLORES12000

Recruit

bt doctor thanks great info.question what is the buzzer when the key is on?
and stops when the engine is running?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Might be the alarm setup for hi-temp, no engine oil, no drive oil

JFLORES12000

Recruit

u guys r gr8 i will go back out there in the next weak and try this new info THANKS A BUNCH

tigerfishes

Cadet

i would also add that here on the forum there is a great diagnostic for starters... i used it and it was right on the money. easy to do. sorry i don't have the link to it but it is here on the forum... just search for starter...