VMax-No speed/Low RPMs??

KCANADA

Recruit
Have a 22' blazer bay with an 05' Yamaha 250 Vmax. I fish with 2-3 people and a full load and run max 43 mph. My RPMs also max out at 4700. Something is obviously wrong. This is all running with the jackplate and trim all the way down. I have tried to trim up to gain speed but it does not seem to make a difference. I also get cavitation at times and it does not jump out of the water like I would expect. I bought this boat used thinking a 250 would be more than enough power. I don't think it's a prop problem becasue I can only get 4700 RPMs in neutral as well. The only thing I have done since buying the boat 2 months ago with only 12 hours on it is change the fuel filter and change the oil in the lower unit. I am a new boat owner so fairly inexperienced. Any suggestions would be greaty appreciated.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: VMax-No speed/Low RPMs??

go to this site and see if you can find a boat/ motor combination like or close to yours and see what prop and performance they got. then see if your prop is close to that one.http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/products/perfbull.aspx
You may need to have motor tested with a Yamaha Test prop to see if motor is running properly. if not fix motor if it does then look at the boat/motor set up

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

is this a VX250 or a VZ250.\

boat load O difference.
05 with 12 hours = fuel system problems.

KCANADA

Recruit

The motor serial # 60XL1002606, it is a Yamaha V250 TLR I believe. I am really hoping I didn't make a bad decision on the purchase.

KCANADA

Recruit

When running wide open, It seamed to run fine other than the low speed and RPMs. It did not sound like it was starving for fuel. I did stall once or twice while in neutral. When my Dad installed the new fuel filter could he have done something wrong?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dad most lokly did nothing wrong.
most likly it sat up while waiting to sell and the fuel system is gobbered.
by your seriel number its a VZ motor, HPDI.
use the dealer locator function,find a dealer with a master tech.
take it there and pray.
DO NOT continue to run that motor.
your describing fuel system issues and that engine does NOT tolerate them well.
also have the Yamaha dealer run the PID and check for recalls and updates. there were a few.
have them look at the tech bulliten for 3.3L oiling also.

KCANADA

Recruit

Thank you so much for the advice. I will take it in.