Trailer Hubs

houcktownrocks

Recruit
Hey all,

I have an older boat and trailer. The boat is a Seasprite with a 140 hp mercruiser I/O. The trailer is where I have run into a problem. Tire hub is tore up a chunk is missing were a lug was. So i am looking for a replacement. Took to a axle shop they said buy new axle 675 bucks hub is discontinued. I am not buying a new axle for that price I will buy a used trailer. I have looked and looked for this hub it is like 2 3/4 thick and the thinnest one i have found was 3.5 inches thick. The only identifier on the hub is it is stamped DP3. Can anyone help me here or do i just need to get another trailer?

Thanks
Andy

texomatom

Seaman
Re: Trailer Hubs

Andy,

I'm having a new axle made up this week. I think you need to shop around a bit more for your axle. That price is outrageous. I found some replacments online for as little as $150.00. Mine is a failry common 3500 lb axle.
Check Dexter axles online and also check to see if you have a local trailer manufacturer that will sell an axle to you . This will save you some shipping charges.
I got lucky and found a *somewhat* local axle builder that subs the axles for a trailer manufacturer. They are welding up an exact replacment for me for $165.

Tom

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

^^^^^ What Tex said!
I had the hub snap on my EZ Loader trailer and had the local trailer shop weld a new 3600lb axle with new leaf springs, spindles, bearings, hubs and bearing buddies for $150-$160 out the door. I just took the old one in to him for measurements and he had me up and running the next day.
The guy I used was just a regular trailer repair guy. He worked on all types, not just boat trailers.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah that price is outrageous. My friend just had an axle custom made with sure lube hubs for under $250. I just replaced my weird old axle with a complete 3500lb one from tractor supply for like $140.

reelfishin

Captain

I find it hard to believe that a compatible hub isn't available. I deal with 100 used trailers every year and have never run across a hub combo I couldn't find or retrofit something to.
Unless it's rusted out or bent, I'd take some measurements and find a hub.

I'd also find a new trailer shop, unless your dealing with something from the 1950's, it's not likely that it can't be fixed. The only axle configuration I can think of that may take that sort of labor or money to fabricate would be one with coil springs or trailing arms.
(As in early Tee Nee, Gator, or maybe Holsclaw trailers). Rim/hubs are another deal as well, were the rim and hub are one unit, but I've also been able to retro fit those with modern hubs.

Most hubs are nothing more than a matter of knowing the inner and outer bearing diameter required, and the lug pattern measurement.

Also keep in mind that it's a trailer, if the new hub is a fraction off in width or appearance, it won't much matter, and if it bothers you that much, you could always just replace both hubs and make them match.

houcktownrocks

Recruit

Thanks all for the replies. I have exhausted my resources for finding a new hub so I am thinking of getting a used trailer for 200bucks. My hub face to face is 2 3/4inches and I just cant find a hub that thin anywhere. The wider hubs won't allow me to put the nut on so im at a loss. Thanks again for the replies.

Andy

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Don't give up so easily...any used trailer may have you in the same situation!

Axles are easy to come by, and for a lot less than what you mentioned. You would be wise to contact these people, and see if they have a solution:

http://www.easternmarine.com/shop/

Happy boating!

houcktownrocks

Recruit

Thanks again for the input. I just called these guys and they said go with new axle or new spindles then new hubs. Guy said that this hub is not avaliable and best to get away from them all together. Simple fixes always seem to end up not being simple. :mad:

Thanks
Andy