Is my exhaust too clean?

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just got a '69 Mercury 75 7.5 HP motor. I removed the lower end to install a new water pump and check and reseal the gear box. I find zero carbon build up. I think I have figured out the exhaust pathway, but that pathway is clean enough to eat off of. This should have over 40 years of build up!! All I see is nice clean and dry paint. WTH! Am I looking wrongly at this? Even if the previous owner ran straight gas it should have some build up on it.
Comments would be nice. I have no idea when this ran last. Under the cowl it looks brand new. The guts in the gearbox look brand new. I did a compression test and came up with 63/65, that should go up after I start it up. Bob

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is my exhaust too clean?

I just got a '69 Mercury 75 7.5 HP motor. I removed the lower end to install a new water pump and check and reseal the gear box. I find zero carbon build up. I think I have figured out the exhaust pathway, but that pathway is clean enough to eat off of. This should have over 40 years of build up!! All I see is nice clean and dry paint. WTH! Am I looking wrongly at this? Even if the previous owner ran straight gas it should have some build up on it.
Comments would be nice. I have no idea when this ran last. Under the cowl it looks brand new. The guts in the gearbox look brand new. I did a compression test and came up with 63/65, that should go up after I start it up. Bob

BTT for some ideas on this.

emckelvy

Commander

Maybe you found one of those gems that has been put away for years with little running time on it.

I reckon the condition of the driveshaft splines (wear, etc) and the general appearance of the driveshaft (rusty/pitted or like new?) will tell a lot about how it was treated. Apparently never run in salt or it'd be pretty nasty by now.

Hopefully it'll run as good as it looks!

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe you found one of those gems that has been put away for years with little running time on it.

I reckon the condition of the driveshaft splines (wear, etc) and the general appearance of the driveshaft (rusty/pitted or like new?) will tell a lot about how it was treated. Apparently never run in salt or it'd be pretty nasty by now.

Hopefully it'll run as good as it looks!

Yep, gears, bearings, shafts all look brand new. The paint inside the cowl/powerhead is like brand new, shiny. The outside of the cowl is beat to hell as whoever owned it let it bounce around in the bed of a pickup. I got the motor and a Ted Williams Gamefisher 12' fiberglass boat for $175.00. Might be a good buy.

emckelvy

Commander

The outside of the cowl is beat to hell as whoever owned it let it bounce around in the bed of a pickup.

You might check on eBay, I've seen some pretty nice covers on there lately.

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might check on eBay, I've seen some pretty nice covers on there lately.

Not damaged, just scuffed up. It is a aluminum cover and can be sanded smooth again. I'll re-paint and put new decals on it.

It's a funny motor. The outside is beat up from bouncing in the bed of a truck, and the guts look new. I'll try and do some pictures in he next couple days.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I recently picked up a 79' 90hp and thought the exact same thing about my exhaust. I had the lower unit off replacing the pump and decided to look up the leg. Clean as a whistle. I also was dumbfounded by the immaculate paint job still shinny and new on the block itself. I think that both you and I just found those motors that people did not use much. If you think about it, a guy buys a boat and motor, spends 10 or so grand on it, uses it a lot the first year, gets tired of it, gets to busy for it, and cant bring himself to take a big loss on selling it, so it just sits there, or in your case just rides in the back of the truck.

The bad thing about a motor that does not get used is that there are different things that go wrong than one that is used a bunch. I think I am dealing with some seal issues with mine because they probably sat so long unused and have dried up and cracked. But those issues are a lot better than bad power heads. Consider yourself blessed.