How hot should my Volvo Penta run?

Mangler90

Cadet
I just put a new motor in my 2000 Blue Water 20ft open bow runabout. It has a volvo penta vortec 5.7 liter v-8. Most of the time it runs about 175 degrees but at times gets upwards of 225 even close to 240. Is that too hot? What should it run at and at what temperature should I get worried about it.
I checked the impeller on the engine and it is fine and my understanding is that Volvo SX-M outdrive does not have an impeller so the on on the engine is the only one cooling the system-- is that right?

Thanks for the help

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How hot should my Volvo Penta run?

Cant comment on the volvo outdrive impellor side.. But that is to damn hot ..

should stay around the 175 constant ,,so needs investigating for sure

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How hot should my Volvo Penta run?

If your engine is raw water cooled, it should NEVER get over 180?, usually at 180 it's telling you something is going bad.

I checked the impeller on the engine and it is fine

Since I have no clue to which impeller you looked at, and would bet you pulled the engines circulation pump and looked at the metal impeller, of course it looks ok.
Did you remove the rubber impeller in the raw water pump? Did all the vanes look good and straighten out in a few minutes? IF not, you need a new impeller.
And no, there is no impeller in the drive.

Might want to have a look at this overheat diagnostic file.
http://www.4shared.com/file/50572185/e88f1d89/Volvo_Penta_Overheat_Diagnosis.html