Do you instruct your passengers before going out?

GatorMike

Ensign
Not that I think it is that important for passengers to know where the safety equiptment is. I just like to see the look on their faces when I open the life jacket compartment and instruct them that the one on top belongs to the Captain, the rest are first come first serve.

Red Snappa

Cadet
Re: Do you instruct your passengers before going out?

I do instruct people from time to time. I have a few friends that I have told probably hundreds of times not to ride on the gunwales. I tell them over again and five minutes later they're sitting up there again. I sometimes wonder if I'm speaking a different language or something....

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I find myself telling people to stay off the back deck. They think they can sit up there since I sit up there when the boat is not under power. That is the first thing a cop will ticket for...it's like having a tail light out...your instantly on there radar. Not to mention they could easily fall backward and land on the spinning prop.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

For me it usually goes like this; Young passengers need to know the rules of what is OK. Life jackets are put on before we get under way. I would also stop the boat or discretely cut the trip short to correct any unsafe behavior.
For adults I put my life jacket on and offer them one. The only rule I might instruct them on applies to docking. Sit still on approach and don't grab the dock until I ask you to.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Always and everytime. Especially, if there are kids. First off life jacket to kids. Then offer the adults jacket. Then tell everybody the rules. All rules must be followed including the last rule have fun. :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I tell anyone who hasn't been out with us that the PFD MUST be worn at all times on the boat. Plus some other basics, like not hanging over the gunnels trying to touch the water, don't jump into the water while the motor is running regardless of if we are moving or not. No they are not allowed to ride on the bow, the bow rail is not for sitting on, etc.

Adults are not a problem, its generally the teens that do the dumb stuff and need the instruction.

oldjeep

Admiral

Just one instruction. If you're going to stand up while I drive, you had better put on a life jacket now.

haulnazz15

Captain

The only time I give instructions is when there are new people riding with me that I haven't given the speech to already. I just show everyone where the fire extinguisher/flares/pfd's are, and give them a few rules of what to do in an emergency. Other than that, I'll instruct them as needed.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm rebuilding my boat at the moment, but I have this on the dash for my kids:

CLUE.jpg

The only time I give instructions is when we're about to dock (grab those fenders) or anchor in a busy area (stay out of the way and wait until the engine is off).

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used too fish out in the gulf a lot years ago, and anybody that had not been on my boat before, they were told where the life jackets are, flare kit, fire exg. and how too use the radio an show them how too read the gps on the way out ,in the 15 years of going out I had too use the radio one time but everything ended well.I explained a lot of things while underway an it went more like a everyday talk then instructions..

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I do but try not to be overbearing about it and depends on what we're doing. I let people know where the throw cushion is located, the fire extinguisher, and life jackets.

Last week we were out tubing so I made sure we knew who was handling the flag, who was watching the tuber, and that everyone knew the signals. I let everyone know where the paddle, rope, and pole were to hand to someone if needed. Also set the rule that if someone is in the water and needs help that nobody else goes into the water without a ski vest or lifejacket. We also talked about the engine being off when anyone was in the water and around the prop.

The other discussion we had was how much air time we could give the person on the tube :D:D

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

If they haven't been out before, or haven't been out in a long time, then I give a brief safety orientation. Staying seated, life jackets, kids wear them at all times, in case you see a hazzard, etc.

There are 2 things that I think cannot be emphasized enough:

1. If someone should go overboard, shout "OVERBOARD, OVERBOARD, OVERBOARD" point at where the person is (or last was seen), and DO NOT take your eyes off that spot for any reason.

Yelling other things like, "Oh God, no!, oh no, stop, look out, he fell in, etc" wastes precious time because it does not effectively communicate to the captain what's gone wrong and therefore he/she will not know what to do or where to look. He will likely take the wrong action because he will assume you are yelling about a possible collision with another boat or something in the water.

2. If you spot an object in the water that you even suspect captian doesn't see and if it even could present a collision hazzard, yell "log" or "rock" or whatever, and again point directly to it. The saves precious time by instantly directing the captains eyes to whatever the object of concern is. Don't stop pointing until you know the captian sees it or has taken action.

Grouse

fishrdan

Admiral

1. If someone should go overboard, shout "OVERBOARD, OVERBOARD, OVERBOARD" point at where the person is (or last was seen), and DO NOT take your eyes off that spot for any reason.

Good one!
My favorite hat blew off a couple months back and I saw it floating on the surface, so I whipped the boat around but had lost sight of the hat. I zigzagged the area for 10-15 min and finally found it, floating on the surface. Just think if that were a person......

A couple of my rules;

- Kids have their life jackets on before the boat is launched or they go out on the dock.

- Everyone test-fits their life jackets before we leave the dock, even if not being worn on board. This makes sure we have enough life jackets, everyone knows how to use them, where they are at and they fit properly.

I don't remember who mentioned it, but people not "grabbing for the dock" on approach is one I have adpoted. I tell them not to grab until I ask and then only grab for the cleat, do not grab the side of the dock where their hand could get smashed by the boat.

GatorMike

Ensign

Part of my embarkment speech is lifting a 5 gallon bucket and saying "This is the ladies room." then pointing overboard and saying "That is the mens room."

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Good instructions on "Overboard." Members of my crew are notorious for ambiguous arm waving and shouting.

PLease, everyone, instruct yours never to yell "Help" when playing around the water. Children playing monster or pirate games are prone to do it. I grew up on the water and was thus instructed at a very young age. I will go up to total strangers' children and teach them this.

Good instruction approaching the dock: "hands in your lap!" Keeps them safe and seated.

I was too late on this one: "Don't grab the stern light for support!" but at least I now have something to beat the offender with.

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not entire sure what my wife told my two years old daughter about the importance of life jacket while ridding in a boat, but during our last outing, my daughter refused to remove her life jacket to change into her swim suit. It took a good 15 minutes to convince her that she will be refitted with life jacket after the swim suit is on.

Oh, of course, this all happen when the boat is anchored in a cove.... She really look sacred when the jacket zipper starting to come off. :)

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good instructions on "Overboard." Members of my crew are notorious for ambiguous arm waving and shouting.

Yes, this is exactly the point. Yelling ambiguous things and waving arms in the air wastes seconds when you can least afford them.

Yelling ambiguous things like "Oh God!" can mean anything from "I just spilled the last cold beer" to "You're about to hit a swimmer." One is merely very serious, and the other is a matter of life and death.

Good advice about no reaching for the dock.

Grouse

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

I appoint a deckhand. The rest are shown the safety equipment. Any kids are made to don life jackets, and I ask if there are any non-swimmers aboard. They don life jackets as well.

When docking, before I get there, all are told, in a pleasant voice, to not offer their "help", and please stay within the confines of the boat. The deck hand and I will take care of it...

I've had return passengers ask if they could be the deck hand, even though it gave them added responsibilities. They seemed to like the ability to help out...this has worked well.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Among the life jackets and fire extinguishers, I've had to add a few things with the boat upgrade.

~~I forget that each person may need to be told how to use a marine head.
~~Never get a cold beverage without asking the Captain if he wants one, too.
~~Absolute quiet when docking. Safety, concentration, and listening for irregularities with the craft are paramount.
~~No horseplay while the boat is underway.
~~The most important...Have Fun!

DaNinja

Lieutenant

So much great stuff in this thread!
Glad to see the Admiral and I aren't the only "Friendly Ahabs".:D

I give a quick tour/brief before we leave the slip.

Funny...I didn't think my 83 year old grandma needed my instruction.
We were coming through a rough section on Lake of The Ozarks and I was challenged by the chop.

Suddenly, there was a voice in my ear...

"Is this like when you fly your aircraft?"

:eek:I came to idle smoothly. Nobody behind me had noticed my grandma getting up and walking to me at the helm, in heavy LOTO chop.:eek:

"Yes, Grandma, but my passengers didn't normally walk around the cabin."

Yes. Everybody gets a quick briefing. It saves on hurt feelings on the lake.