what gasket do i need? please help

Bass_fisher

Cadet
I am going to be changing the oil on my 1983 15hp johnson and im not sure what gaskets i need for the drain and vent plug. i assume their the same, but what plug do i need to replace them with. thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: what gasket do i need? please help

Qty 2--0311598 washer.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The lower unit oil?

They (both plugs) use the same plastic O ring gasket...... they can be re-used as long as they are not chewed up and leaking. They are hard plastic o rings.

Bass_fisher

Cadet

Can i pick these up at a local marina or a westmarine store? i want to get them local so i can use it thursday thru the weekend.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

According to the parts diagram in the PARTS CATALOG both drain and level screws are the same and fitted with the usual flat nylon wshers. # 11 in the gearcase diagram.

Be aware though that sometimes O rings turn up! If the screws fitted should have O rings the there will be recesses for them on the underside of the head. The screws that take the flat washers are flat under the heads.

Take care to only undo the two identical broad headed and slotted screws. The smaller screw next to the drain screw holds some of the insides in position. Undo it and it'll all fall apart inside :mad:

Sometimes the nylon washers come out with the screws and sometimes they stay in the hole. Take care to remove the old washers before fitting new ones.