Water pump has pressure but no stream.

mybadford

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have 2005 Mercury 60hp 2 stroke. As far as the water pump goes, it's shows water pressure on the gauge all the way from an idle to wide open throttle. At an idle it shows barely above 0psi maybe 1psi. At wide open throttle it shows 18psi. Today I took it out and there wasn't the stream coming out of the engine. Pressure showed normal throughout the entire rpm range. Above 4,000 rpms it would drip but not a steady stream. I ran it for a couple hours pretty much the whole time above 4,000 rpms. I figured if the pump was out it would have seized the engine or cracked it somewhere. It ran flawless. Once I got back home with it I blew through the line where it comes out of the engine case. Seems to flow free. I blew back though the engine and it didn't seemed blocked either. The pressure gauge is at the top of the head. The exit line is at the bottom of the head. Any ideas on why I have the pressure but no stream????

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: Water pump has pressure but no stream.

It is blocked somewhere and that's why it build so much pressure. Max pressure at WOT should be 10-12 psi on thoses triple.

Start by cutting the tiewrap and remove the black fitting at the end of the telltale hose to see if there's any debris there; it's very common but, usually, when this happened, the engine overheat. Then, remove the t-stat cover to check if there's any blockage and, if it were mine, i'd then remove the L/U to visually inspect the waterpump impeller. If everything check ok, i would try running a length of weedeater plastic wire through the telltale hose and the t-stat opening back into the water passage as far as i can.

mybadford

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Water pump has pressure but no stream.

Do the smaller outboard engines have thermostats? I'm not trying to ask a dumb question but when I take the boat off the trailer it has/had a stream when engine was cold.