85 25hp evinrude shift shaft oil leak

MACKADOCIOUS

Recruit
i have a 1985 25 hp evinrude with oil coming up from the shift shaft bushing do i have 2 drop the lower unit 2 fix i think there are some o rings please help

swannytheswan

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 85 25hp evinrude shift shaft oil leak

Bump...I have the same problem with a 1960 40hp johnson... I really don't want to crack the gearcase if I don't have to but oil leaks into the exhaust housing if the lower unti is tipped at all

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

On the older engines you have to remove the power head to get to the shifter bellcrank and there's an O ring on it to change. If the hole has gotten bigger or elongated though it's tough to stop.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Here is a link for the 1985 problem, 1960's will be different design.

I have heard of people buying a new bushing and oring.
Then thread into the old bushing and screw in a bolt to pull the bushing. I would be apprehensive to do this though, because shavings will drop into the gear case.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=415249

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Oh. You're talking the shifter bushing in the LU. I though you meant the shifter up top!

swannytheswan

Seaman Apprentice

yeah where the shift shaft goes into the lower unit...so do you recommend opening the gear case also where can I get the bushing and o ring...also if I were to put a bolt in the bushing and do it that way I wouldn't have to open the gear case correct I would just drill a hole tap it thread in a bolt and pull it up off the shift shaft and replace it with the new bushing and O ring...is that how you are saying it can be done...if so how thick is the bushing so I know how far to go without getting shavings in the gearcase.

swannytheswan

Seaman Apprentice

nevermind on where to find it if it is the lower unit seal kit that I need the sell it here on iboats.com