Bad knocking in 4.3 mercruiser, any ideas?

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is on a 1999 starcraft with alpha 1 gen 2 sterndrive. Well, had the boat out for the first full day. Got the trim fixed, water in the locker fixed, and control box fixed. Ran great all day with temp in the mid range pulling a 3 person tube. Wind died down later that night, so I opened it up to the trailer. Pulled 4500 rpm at 40 mph with trim all the way down using 91 octane. Then I started getting a knock sound that got louder and louder until I shut it down. It was a solid loud knock but couldn't really tell if it was from engine or drive( gimble bearing?) Sounded like something was rubbing or hitting something else. In neutral it was still making noise and increased with rpm increase. Oil was good, temp good, and it started back up fine but with knock. I got pulled back in. This morning it sounded like it knocked for just a bit and then went away. It idled smooth with no hickups using muffs, no leaks and nothing looks melted. Put in forward and reverse and it sounded normal. I pulled one spark plug and it looked good. Something got warm when running full throttle. With muffs on, water was coming out underneath the upper drive. What should I check?

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bad knocking in 4.3 mercruiser, any ideas?

Did you have the drive serviced? as in removed and ujoints checked, etc...?

depending on the way it sounds, I would most likely start by pulling the drive...

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

Could have when you opened it up broke a piece of carbon off inside the combustion chamber. It will sound deep like a rod bearing knock. They can pass out an exhust valve and won't hear it again. Have seen it many times. Did it myself revving up a motor. A top engine cleaner,or if you REALLY KNOW what you're doing, water will clean it up. Rookies should refrain from this practice.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

If it is no longer knocking run it again - does it come back?
Why are you running 91 - that engine doesn't need anything other than the plainold cheap stuff.

With muffs on, water was coming out underneath the upper drive. What should I check?

Normal

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to check to see if I should check something before I ran it again. I didn't know carbon could make that noise so good to know. With the water coming underneath upper drive with muffs on I was getting at there is probably no blockage and impeller working ok right? I didn't have the drive checked when I bought it or after the problem but I did run it forward and reverse with the muffs and sounded ok. How fast can I run it in gear with muffs? I'm pretty mechanical so is it fairly easy to remove and check? What is the correct way to lube the gimbal bearing and is there any lubing to be done on the drive in the engine bay? I just run 91 for insurance on heat and knock.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Now is a really good time to hit the adults only thread and download a copy of hte manuals for your engine and drive. - FREE

Gimble bearing has a grease fitting externally, but the drive still needs to come off EVERY year to look at the u-joints, bearing, bellows and engine alignment.

You can run it in gear on muffs as fast as you liability policy will permit :eek:
BUT, because the pump can actually create enough suction to collapse your hose - no water to the engine..... Keep it below 2k at all times on the muffs.

running 91 in an engine that doesn't need it - increases carbon build up and pinging.

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wish I could get all my manuals that way! I'll run her just a bit faster on the muffs before I head to the lake. Hate to be towed.:D The 91 has ethanol and is what I can get close to me. Ethanol runs a little leaner and warmer so the higher octane I would think would help a little. Is pinging the same as detonating, because I thought higher octane takes care of that?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Ethanol runs a little leaner and warmer so the higher octane I would think would help a little

The octane rating os for fuel AS PUMPED - so the ethanol is already accounted for in the rest of the mixture.

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds good. I appreciate all the help I get on here.:)

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bad knocking in 4.3 mercruiser, any ideas? updated

Re: Bad knocking in 4.3 mercruiser, any ideas? updated

So I took it out again and as soon as I put power to her I got the bad knock. The plugs looked good when I checked them all the right color and no metal. The knock is lower on the engine. When I opened the engine bay there was a little smoke coming out of the the carb so don't know if I had that before or not. We put the muffs on and it still knocks at idle when not in gear. Starts fine so what should I check next?

AZSeville

Seaman Apprentice

Drive gears, upper first because it easier. Sound like your missing a tooth.

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So the whole drive has to come off in back to look at this? I was looking at the exploded view of this, I still hear the noise in neutral so would the drive gear be running?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The gears in the upper turn anytime the engine is running. Only the lower shifts.
Yes, you have to remove the drive, and it's a horrendous job.
Takes a good 15 minutes, if you've never done it before.
Put the shifter in forward, remove trim rams from the aft pin, remove 6 mounting nuts and pull the drive off.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Don't forget to disconnect the tube for the speedo...

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking at the service manual it looks pretty straight forward except for aligning the engine and drive when putting it back together. Do I need a special tool for this or what is the procedure? I have the sterndrive service manual but not the engine service manual. Thanks for the help.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

You need an alignment tool

ebay for $50ish or measurements are in the manual and in the adults only section, if you want to have one made locally...

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I took it in and they didn't find anything with the drive and wanted to pull the motor because it was making the knock with the drive disconnected.
They told me 5hrs to pull the motor and look at it since they have the drive off, does this sound right? At $80 hr I have a feeling this is going to get really expensive. I know you have to pay to play but I am wondering if the guy who sold it knew this was coming, since I have only been on the lake twice with it. I'll know more when they open it up.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a feeling this is going to get really expensive.

Ayuh,.... Payin' for Labor is the Expensive part....

At Worst, you need a long block motor,... probably $1500.+,... You do it...