speaker stereo problems

supreme one

Recruit
I have recently installed a stereo in my boat, (3 amps, 4-6 1/2 components,4 tower 6 1/2 and 2 twelves). now I have noise coming out of my speakers that starts even when I turn my blower on, or motor running. Any suggestions? thanks.

mnmike3

Seaman
Re: speaker stereo problems

Do any of your wires (power, ground,rcas, speaker, anything stereo related) run close to the blower motor? Does it have the noise on every source (radio,cd,mp3 player)? 9 times out of 10 this noise is ground related or radiated noise. I have been installing big stereos like this (some bigger) professionally for 6 years now. unfortunately noises like this can be a pain to fix. some take an hour some take 10 or more hours depending on how many components are in the system or who messed it up before we get to work on it.

start by verifying you have good voltage and your amps and radio have good CLEAN grounds, also make sure all other connections are good and clean. For the best results on a boat all connections should be soldered and not crimped or scotch locked, and twist and taped is a BIG no no DON'T DO IT. the moisture on a boat will cause you many headaches down the road if its not done the right way. If you have bad connections and don't check them you could spend days chasing your tale.

If all connections and the battery voltage are good try moving your rcas and speaker wires away from any power wires (stereo related or not), the noise could be radiated into the system from power wires (not as common as some may think but it does happen) Sometimes you can narrow the problem down to a specific channel simply by unplugging the rcas from the amp 1 at a time to see if it goes away after unplugging some of the rcas

Almost forgot make sure there isn't a screw running through any wires, a grounded speaker wire sometimes will cause noise if its just right other times it will cause the amp to go into protect or shut down. Not likely in a boat but still a possibility. This is by no means the only things that could cause noise but it should give you a starting point.

good luck I hope you can find the problem cause I'm sure its annoying listening to it.

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the tone of the interference changes with the revving of the engine, then you have "alternator whine" which is simply the magnetic field generated around the alternator (or any other electric motor like a blower) is interfering with the electrical signals in your speaker wires, power wires, or RCA preouts. High quality shielded cables sometimes do the trick, but the suggestions mentioned above are also very valid. It's a bugger to troubleshoot and isolate.

There are some aftermarket, inline devices that purport to "clean" the signals, but I do not have any personal experience with them...they are more of a band-aid approach but may be a last resort.

mnmike3

Seaman

There are some aftermarket, inline devices that purport to "clean" the signals, but I do not have any personal experience with them...they are more of a band-aid approach but may be a last resort.

Yes they do make these and they are a quick fix. From the experience I've had sometimes they are the only thing that works. The problem with them is some will cut out certain frequencies so you might loose some sound quality in the lower end or even an entire range of frequencies. there are also times that they don't work at all, depends on the source of the noise.

Any updates on trying to find the problem?

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Grounding, Grounding and Grounding !!