Shall we redo the stringers?

carpenterken

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My cousin has a 19' 1965 Slickcraft that had waterlogged stringers and insulation/foam. He cut the floor out, removed the insulation/foam, and let it dry out for a month now. The fiberglass that wrapped the stringers is falling off. The stringers are not rotted, but some have a few cracks in them. Will the horizontal cracks in the stringers be an issue? We where thinking of gluing them back together with Tightbond2 waterproof glue, then wrapping them with fiberglass. Also whats the best way to slow the drying time when wrapping the fiberglass in the 85+ deg heat?
Thank you for any help you can give
Ken.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Shall we redo the stringers?

Don't work in the 85 deg heat, keep the resin cool (basement floor is good) , work in shade and early am is good. Then work fast because you still only get a few minutes to get it right. Work in several smaller batches rather than big batches of resin. Once you get a rythm its easy. Keep a pail of acetone with a lid for your tools, soon as it starts to gel ...in they go for a rinse, I like using a cheap 4 inch brush for speed.

If they're damp I'd rip them out and replace with same dimension. For the price of a sheet of PT ply you're better off replacing them anyway.

Do more reading before plunging ahead.
Its not difficult but you have to get yer ducks in a row.
The resin I get from fiberglassite.com have temperature gradient formulas on the side of the can, slightly less catalyst for hot weather.
It doesn't really slow it down but does keep it from boiling in the mixing tub.:)