Speed sensor for a 1996 Capri SS 2050

Rocket Rod

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1996 Bayliner Capri SS 2050 & the speedometer does not work. It worked fine for the previous owner. I assume that there is something on the bottom of the boat or the transum that senses the speed, but I cannot see anything that resembles a speed detector. Does anybody know where it is supposed to be located?
The depth finder does not work either, which may be a fuse, but if someone has an idea of what could cause the depth finder problem other than a fuse that would be appreciated as well.
Rod

KermieB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Speed sensor for a 1996 Capri SS 2050

This is what you are looking for.... when it's up like this, it doesn't work.
July32010011.jpg

When it's down like this... it works.
July32010012.jpg

KC4YIN

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you have the mercruiser stern drive, the pick up for the speedo might be in the leading edge of the lower unit just below the water line. Try disconnecting the tube behind the speedo and use some compressed air to blow back up from the lower unit.

Rocket Rod

Recruit

Hello KC4YN-
Thank you for the info. I found the little hose was disconnected in the stern drive. It was pretty hidden sort of inside an opening of the drive. If you hadn't told me the area that it might be, I wouldn't have found it. Thanks again. This is great, I have never used the internet for this sort of help, so it was a nice suprise to get help & in a relative short time.
Rod

KC4YIN

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Glad you found it. That,s why I like this site.