Motorguide ProSeries 30 - can I save it?

TennesseeJim

Cadet
Hello All - I have a 90's era foot operated trolling motor that has not been used in 8 yrs. and has been outside most of that time. I put power to it today and got no response. I cleaned and applied dielectric grease to all foot pedal connections. With a tester I was getting over 12 volts throughout the pedal connections but only about 5.2 volts backprobing at the motor shaft.

While messing with it, I discovered that the prop is frozen tight and will not turn. Removed 2 long bolts on motor head but can't get it split. Any tricks on this? Also like to hear theories/ideas on what I may find wrong inside motor head. Thanks for any insight!

Jim

fishin1789

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Motorguide ProSeries 30 - can I save it?

I've had similar trolling motors before that had seen too much time outdoors in storage. A swift whack with a rubber mallet may help get the drive motor apart. Once inside, you may find a lot of rust! It can be saved by disassembly, soaking in penetrating oil, lubricating and reassembling it. If you find that the magnets have become unattached, some good epoxy will get them back where they were! Good luck and have lots of patience and lubrication. don't forget to replace the rubber o-rings on the motor or you eventually get to do it all again!

TennesseeJim

Cadet
Re: Motorguide ProSeries 30 - can I save it?

Thanks Fishin! Your reply gave me the confidence to use a little more force and I was able to split it apart, no problem. I did find quite a bit of rust and sludge and with some careful scraping and tapping, I got the armature to come free and pulled it out. Magnets are fine. I feel like I'll be able to clean it up, who knows, maybe even get it going again! I'll post back with my results.
Jim