what now!!!!

rchow

Cadet
I have a 2005 crownline with a 305 mercruiser with fuel injection. The boat ran good for about an hour then after parking on the sandbar the motor will not start at regular throttle. You can put it in neutral and give it about half throttle and it starts fine but in order to go you have to put it in neutral in the reverse position and just quickly go to gear and and about half throttle seems to run fine but am getting an audible alarm with just to beeps about 2 or 3 minutes before the next beeps, cannot identify alarm, and cannot figure out the reason for not idileing,any help will be greatly appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: what now!!!!

There are about 2 dozen reasons for the 2 beeps per minute alarm on those engines.
You need to get it hooked up to a diagnostic tool to find out the reason.

rchow

Cadet
Re: what now!!!!

Well to anybody that read this and might be wondering, after consulting with a friend of mine who's parents owned a chevrolet dealership where he worked as a mechanic, he said it sounded like a airflow problem more than a fuel problem which turned out to be correct. I researched the service manual that i downloaded (thanx Don S.) and after investigating i found that the coil on the IAC was so hot you could not touch it, so i bypassed it just to see and it stared right up and idleled perfect!! Problem solved! only took about thirty minutes of troubleshooting! not real sure what a new one costs because the marine dealer was already closed but at least i know. I do have one question for you Don, just in case i can't get one by friday would it hurt to run it with it bypassed like that? Also could i possibly get one from an O"RIELLY's or similar parts place or does it have to come from a marine dealer i.e different types for trucks and boats?