Aftermarket Replacement for Volvo 854357 Trim Relay

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer
I did a search and the only post I found was this:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=371986&highlight=854357

Through some Googling I think I have cross referenced it to a MESRL004 and a ARCR040. Both of these I can find at places like ebasic power for short $$ (around 15.00). But I also know you can usually walk into a NAPA and pick these up. I have one relay which seems be flaky (needs a tap once in a while).

Anyone able to turn any of these numbers into something I can pick up locally and not have to pay 50.00+ at the local dealer. They get enough of my business, they don't need this! I'd also like to have a spare which at 50.00 each is not economical.

I am going to run the test in the post I referred to, but in the meantime I'd like to grab one anyhow

-M

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Aftermarket Replacement for Volvo 854357 Trim Relay

Standard 5 pin relay (NEEDS all 5 pins on both relays). I've picked them up from NAPA and also the Ford dealer when I had the Explorer. Get the 40 or 50A contacts, they last longer.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Standard 5 pin relay (NEEDS all 5 pins on both relays). I've picked them up from NAPA and also the Ford dealer when I had the Explorer. Get the 40 or 50A contacts, they last longer.

What do you mean "had" the explorer?! Don't tell me you got rid of it. I know how much you loved that beast! ;)

So any of the 5 pin relays in the following link would work?
www.napaonline.com/Search/Results.aspx?Ntt=trim relay&Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&N=0

Don S

I got rid of that thing when the rear shock bracket rusted off the frame.
Got the Merc Mountaineer to replace it.

Your link was a server error, Best thing to do is just take your old relay and match it up. It's not specially sealed or anything like that. Real easy to find, even radio shack has them.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry for the bad link. It was just a lit of all the "power trim" relays NAPA carries. Only 8 but the say they replace the trim on aq280, merc, volvo penta etc. All different prices so I wasn't sure if there was something special about each of them.

Explorer to Mountineer... Glutton for punishment! I HATED the back end on my Explorer. Weak and junky. Use to shake like a son-of-a-gun on the highway.

Hope you and the fam had a good 4th Don! Been so busy with the kids that I just splashed this weekend even thoguh it' been commissioned since April..

Sigh....

Don S

Sent you a PM Mike.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Your suggestion worked like a charm Don. 22.00 for two new relays sure beats a Volvo Penta price!! Thanks!!

I wish all fixes on this pig were that easy. Now I have to chase down why she wants to surge like hell at idle and stall at times..