Need to replace the running boards, but not at the lake!

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a 1989 Cajun Fish and Ski 185 and need to replace the running boards.

I cannot do this at the lake, because I have no electricity there and know I am going to have to grind some of the rusty bolts off.

There is a plethora of bolts used. (carriage bolts, lag bolts, and still trying to figure out the use of U-bolts? ) The lag bolts are no problem, easy fix. The carriage and u-bolts are RUSTY!

Is there a way I can do this in my driveway without damaging the hull?

I have already cut the runners and carpeted them and bought new lag bolts for all the holes. I just need some tips on a way to do this on dry land in the presence of electricity, if possible.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need to replace the running boards, but not at the lake!

Are you talking about the bunks on your trailer?

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you talking about the bunks on your trailer?

Bunks? I am not sure I have ever heard it called that.

Its the four boards in which the hull rest on for traveling. There are no rollers on the trailer, just the four boards with carpet.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those are bunks

woosterken

Lieutenant

get a 2x4 and a floor jack, put the board on top the jack (aginst the boat) and just jack up one side at a time , just enough to be able to get your bunks replaced.

woosterken

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Put the 2 X 4 under the Stern?

woosterken

Lieutenant

is there rollers under the front of the boat? you would have to move the boat back a bit, to get it away from the winch stop.
i would do it from the side, from the back ,i think would put a lot of stress on the middle of the boatat the folcrum point (is that a word?)

woosterken

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class

He means the length of the boat---but block that boy up good before removing the bunks,are you'll be fixing some leaks as well.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

So what would be the problem with dropping the boat in a nearby lake with your buddy and a case of beer (he can keep an eye on both), bring the trailer back to the house to swap out the bunks, then go back, have a little boat ride, and haul out? Seems pretty easy to me...

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

So what would be the problem with dropping the boat in a nearby lake with your buddy and a case of beer (he can keep an eye on both), bring the trailer back to the house to swap out the bunks, then go back, have a little boat ride, and haul out? Seems pretty easy to me...

NONE and I mean NONE of my buddy's know the first thing about a boat! I would tie it to the dock and let them watch it, but the dock has only room for one boat at the ramp!!!! :confused:

I just replaced my bunks. I was able to do it at the lake while on vacation over last week. All that held my bunks on were lag bolts in rotten wood. :eek: VERY east to remove.
But with the carriage and u-bolts you have more work for sure. Can you borrow (or maybe even rent) a battery operated sawz-all? That oughta cut through that stuff. I took my 18.2 volt cordless drill and circular saw along to do mine.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

NONE and I mean NONE of my buddy's know the first thing about a boat! I would tie it to the dock and let them watch it, but the dock has only room for one boat at the ramp!!!! :confused:

You mean you couldn't even beach in the reeds, climb over the bow, and just let him watch the beer cooler..empty? Take the key with you?

Dkrager

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Battery operated sawzall would do the trick...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

borrow a trailer to put your boat on while you work on yours.
Launch at another lake.
if you jck up your boat, be very careful workingon it.