New member and have a few toon ?'s

cheryl199

Cadet
Hi I have a few questions about a 1995 tracker party pontoon that I just got. I would like to take it on the 1000's islands so how do you think it will go? It's 8 foot x 21 foot. Also I think that their is some water in the pontoon is their a way to take care of that? I have never owned a pontoon boat before but I have owned a 21 foot open bow.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: New member and have a few toon ?'s

Don't know what you mean by 1000's islands.

Do a search here on water in toons and you'll have plenty of reading material.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

My wife and I go about 20 minutes in Canada here on Charleston Lake.

The advantage of a lake versus a river is much, much less current.

Jeff

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

sounds like Jeff in PA is saying pontoons do better in low to no current water....so if OP is looking to take this to the ocean then maybe thats not the best with one of those??...I dont know pontoons at all so I cant comment but I would think they do not do well in 2-3 foot swells...

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

???? Is there a relevance to this thread ???

Sorry for not having a more complete answer. The area where we go is 20 minutes from the 1000 Island area. Just another option within the same area.

Some areas of the 1000 Islands have very strong currents around some of the islands.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry for not having a more complete answer. The area where we go is 20 minutes from the 1000 Island area. Just another option within the same area.

Some areas of the 1000 Islands have very strong currents around some of the islands.

OK. The 1000 Island is kinda far away from South Florida and although I've been to Canada on three different occasions, I'd never heard of the area.

So now back to the original question. If the speed of the boat exceeds the water current speed you are fine. Just make sure you have enough fuel if you have to go against the current for long distances.

cheryl199

Cadet

???? Is there a relevance to this thread ???

Well EGlideRider a history lesson about the 1000's islands.The St. Lawrence river or also called St. Lawrence seaway connects the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean. The seaway bypass rapids and dams in the river. It can be 27-ft deep to as little as 1 to 2 foot so you better know the way. The islands were formed at the end of the Ice Age and their are even more then 1000's islands.

So my question is how well does a pontoon boat handle the wake from a larger boat? I found the wake from a oceanliner not to be a problem but the tour boats seem to make the bigger wakes, also larger yachts. I have been on the river many times with my 20 foot openbow Maxum but this will be the 1st with my pontoon. Thank you for any help

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I traveled along the St. Lawrence in an RV all the way to Rivere de Lue (sp??) and found that to be some beautiful country. I certainly was not aware of all the islands and strong currents there. Thanks for the geography lesson.

I have found that 2' wakes and/or waves are about the limit for a pontoon boat. Above that and the ride will be uncomfortable and you are likely to take water over the bow. If you see a large wake coming your way, chop the throttle and try to take the wake at a 45 degree angle.

Good luck. Enjoy the boat and the gorgeous river. And just stay away from the big wakes.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Hi I have a few questions about a 1995 tracker party pontoon that I just got. I would like to take it on the 1000's islands so how do you think it will go? It's 8 foot x 21 foot. Also I think that their is some water in the pontoon is their a way to take care of that? I have never owned a pontoon boat before but I have owned a 21 foot open bow.

You don't mention whether the boat is trailered or in a slip. If it's trailered, grab the tongue or something within reach and rock it back and forth while listening carefully for sloshing. If you hear any you have water in the toons. A competent welder can perform a pressure test and repair any leaks. It's not prohibitively expensive. Sorry, but I can't help with the suitability question since I'm in the southern U.S. I do have a barge that size and I'm very happy with the stability on large Corps of Engineer impoundments and rivers with quite a bit of current. Welcome to iboats!

cheryl199

Cadet

You don't mention whether the boat is trailered or in a slip. If it's trailered, grab the tongue or something within reach and rock it back and forth while listening carefully for sloshing. If you hear any you have water in the toons. A competent welder can perform a pressure test and repair any leaks. It's not prohibitively expensive. Sorry, but I can't help with the suitability question since I'm in the southern U.S. I do have a barge that size and I'm very happy with the stability on large Corps of Engineer impoundments and rivers with quite a bit of current. Welcome to iboats!

Thank you for the advice:) last night we did just that we rocked the boat and didn't hear any water thank god. So glad to hear about your experience on the water with your boat I feel much better!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Forgot to mention I have a very reliable 90 horse outboard. That makes me a little more comfy in the current. Please understand I know nothing about the waters you boat in, so take care to consider my input and that of others on here within the context of your circumstances. Ultimately there's no substitute for a thorough understanding of the waters you boat in. I'm sure you know that already, but our main goal here is to keep each other safe. A close second is to push each other's buttons.;)

cheryl199

Cadet

Forgot to mention I have a very reliable 90 horse outboard. That makes me a little more comfy in the current. Please understand I know nothing about the waters you boat in, so take care to consider my input and that of others on here within the context of your circumstances. Ultimately there's no substitute for a thorough understanding of the waters you boat in. I'm sure you know that already, but our main goal here is to keep each other safe. A close second is to push each other's buttons.;)

Well we do know the water and I too have a 90 horse outboard. It's 1995 21 foot Tracker party barge. Now I have been going their for over 20 years but only in a open bow. We also have a 20 foot Maxum and that worked well unless the weather gets bad so then you get off.
Will their be much difference in how they handle?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

A party barge is a completely different animal than a Maxum and as such handles differently. Hulled boats are designed to plane, while pontoon boats basically plow through the water. That's why they're so much slower. If everything is working properly the front of the tubes will lift some to give you decent speed, but on a barge you're constantly displacing water rather than riding on the top of it. As a result you'll take some water over the bow in rough water and while crossing wakes, but that's okay. It will drain back down off the deck. Between you and me I sometimes splash folks up front intentionally and play dumb when they glare at me. You can mitigate the splashing some by quartering across the wakes so you're not hit squarely by the water. If the weather gets bad you'll still need to get off the water just like in your other boats. You'll know when it's time.