1996 Force 75 - carburetor??

buckarrow

Cadet
I have a 96 Force Outboard that started giving me trouble this year probably due to bad fuel. It started out by stalling all the time at idle. I decarbed and then had a problem with stalling at idle and then bogging down and stalling when raising the throttle under way. Funny thing is that it would throttle up fine when in neutral throttle.

I just took the carb off this weekend and soaked it for a few hours in carb cleaner. I put the carb back on (looked like new) and it would start for a second or two but that's it. I pulled the plugs and the middle and bottom plugs were wet and and a little black. Top plug was dry and clean. Same thing after that. It just wouldn't remain running almost like it was getting too much gas.

Next thing I tried was starting the motor by manually holding the throttle open a bit on the carb. It finally started but stalled soon after. There is gas coming out of what looks like a vent in the side of the carb. Probably from the cup overfilling from all the gas used during all of the starting attempts. I am at a loss and not sure what to do next. I am heading to the store to grab a compression test kit. I will post the results.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Force 75 - carburetor??

Welcome to iboats.

Clean and dry top plug is a concern, indicates it is running too lean, starved for fuel and oil. Will eventually burn a piston and seize.

2 stroke motors should have oily plugs.

Too clean the carbs internal passages, you have to disassemble the carb.

I would:
remove and disassemble/thoroughly clean the carb.
reset the idle mixture screw and float level.
inspect the reed valves while you have the carb off, especially the reeds for the top cylinder.

review your starting procedure.

There is no conventional choke on that motor.
There is a fuel enrichment valve, that releases fuel directly into the intake manifold.

Open fuel tank vent

Check the kill switch, place in "run" position

Squeeze fuel primer bulb till firm.

Advance the throttle 3/4 way, without putting it in gear. -- This is done by either pushing a button in the center of the controls, or pulling the shift handle toward the driver, or raising the fast idle lever, all depending on what control unit you have.

Activate the choke (fuel enrichment valve) by pushing in on the key. The valve is only open while the key is being pushed in.

Turn the key to start while continuing to hold the key in.

Release the key and choke when it starts.

3-5 seconds of "choke", is usually enough.

Be ready to pull the throttle back toward the idle/neutral position, when the engine starts and the revs increase.

Continue to pull the throttle back as the engine warms up.

You should not have to use the choke much, if at all, once the engine has warmed up.

Engine should start within 10 seconds of turning the key.

buckarrow

Cadet

Thank you for the help. I did tear down the carburetor when cleaning it. I did not remove the jets though. How do I check if the reed valves need servicing? Starting procedure not an issue - I have owned this motor a since '95.

One other thing to note - I did replace the plugs and fuel filter.

Thank again for the help

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

reeds are a visual inspection, make sure they lay flat, are not bent, broken, or missing.

buckarrow

Cadet

Do I need to take the plate off the carb to get to the reeds for a proper inspection.

Update: I just cleaned carb again. went through every jet. Nice and clean.

I was able to start the boat but only with my finger on the throttle body of the carb. I opened the carb up while starting and it fired right up. I was able to keep it running with my finger, but only at a higher RPM. Not sure where to head now. The lean adjustment is 1.35 turns out. I even tried playing with the neutral idle screw. I think this is a bigger issue as I can't start it with the normal neutral idle (i.e. pushing the button in on the throttle remote)

I am definitely questioning my compression. The marine store didn't stock these. Can I get a compression check tool at the Autozone?

Any help is appreciated.

buckarrow

Cadet

Another quick update:

I spoke with our auto mechanic this morning here at the shop. Not the same as an outboard but similar properties. He thinks, based on my problem, that there is an air leak somewhere which is causing a loss in vacuum of the fuel in the carb at low idle and when starting. And that's why I am only able to start when holding the throttle link half open on the carb.

I'm going to buy some new hoses and gaskets tonight to confirm that this is not the issue.

Just curious: Does anyone know if the reed valves or a compression issue would cause these symptoms as well?