Trim Tab anode question

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need to replace my trim tab anode with an offset one due to my new prop. Does it make a difference if I order aluminum or magnesium?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Trim Tab anode question

Ayuh,... Freshwater, or Saltwater,..??

TilliamWe

Banned

Fresh water means you should use magnesium. All your anodes should be magnesium. But guess what? Magnesiums are about twice as expensive!

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

will the aluminum have any adverse effects?

Brewman61

Ensign

Not sure if AL would hurt anything or not, but at the very least they probably don't offer adequate protection, which is a good enough reason in my opinion to use magnesium. Not the best place to try and save a few bucks, if that's where you're going.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ordered the mag. one, I was asking because the one one iboats is al.

TilliamWe

Banned

Aluminum is more noble than magnesium. Corrosion will attack the less noble metals first. So, since your outdrive is made of aluminum alloy, you want the less noble magnesium to be eaten first. (There is a 50% chance that I have stated the "nobility theory" exactly backwards, but I think you get the idea, right?)
The reason that Aluminum anodes are offered is because in saltwater, the magnesiums would be eaten up in a matter of weeks, and then your drive would get corroded next. Glad you ordered the mags, that what I used exclusively after the first two years I had my boat slipped in freshwater, and it was ABSOLUTELY worth the extra money!