Mercruiser outdrive install

I have a 84 imperial with a 140 hp, 3.0, and need a new outdrive. How hard is it to put the new one on? any guides? Also what would the outdrive be called for that year?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercruiser outdrive install

The Adults only sticky at the top of this forum will lead you to a d/l link for the Mercruiser manual for your unit.

reading it will tell you if it is too hard for you, or if you can do it.

you will need a special tool called an alignment bar - but they are easy to get (ebay etc) or dealer may loan if you buy your drive or parts there.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... an Alpha 1....

ziggy

Admiral

How hard is it to put the new one on? any guides?
the guide is in the s/m as suggested above.

as for how hard it is to do. not to bad. if you have a drive stand of some kind. if you don't, make one. i believe there's a thread on drive stands in the adults only sticky. some folks have made some real nice stands. way better than mine. all i'll say for mine is it does work..

basically to remove the drive. put it in fwd. remove trim rams from the drive at the aft end. remove 6 nuts and pull it off. same for putting it back. i've had mine off 4 or so times now. once it gave me grief putting it back on. i felt the reason that occurred was because i wasn't perfectly lined up with the drive to the bell housing. when i get the drive square with the bell housing, i've had no trouble at all, other than it's still heavy even when on the drive stand and ya gotta push it straight in. but once she's straight, they slide right in from my experience.

do get the alignment bar. i got mine later than sooner. i should have got it sooner. it's a must have tool to get if your gonna work on your drive at all.

So the manual don't say any thing about the alignment tool, is it something that they decied after that would make it easier? The install looks easy enough though. thanks!!

Brewman61

Ensign

The alignment tool is a must have if you move or remove your engine or replace your gimbal bearing. It is a nice to have if your only task is removing and replacing the outdrive. If your alignment is good, and if you don't disturb alignment when you remove and replace the outdrive, you might not need it.