Help! weird starting procedure

foresterjohn

Cadet
Ok, i figured out that the little red lever is the fogging valve (thank you previous posts). But heres my problem. The motor can be tricky to start. and when it wont start, i crank it a few times, then i have to turn the fogging valve to release some pressure, and then it usually starts up. What is going on? i dont want to take off the cover every time I am on the water! Please help or the wife wont go out wife me much longer!

96 Evinrude, 70 Hp, oil injected, straight 3

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help! weird starting procedure

It is a choke solenoid that can be used to fog the engine.
If the lever is turned over the valve, it will pass fuel to the carbs when choke is activated. With the lever away from the valve it is a manual bypass to choke the engine manually. I think i have the lever directions correct.
Easy enough to check, remove one of the hoses going to the carb and apply the choke, should squirt gas out of the hose. If not reverse the lever and try again. All this is assuming the solenoid is working when you push in the key.

foresterjohn

Cadet

thanks. i am not sure if the solenoid is working and that is why there is too much pressure. i guess i am turning it to manual when i start it.

D

DJ

Red Handle folded back (parallel to solenoid body)=Normal start.

Red Handle folded upright (perpendicular to solenoid body)=Manual Start.

Use this procedure:

1. Pump up primer bulb.

2. Lift warm up lever to about 1/2.

3. Turn key to ON (NOT START).

4. Push key in, hold for a count of eight.

5. Release key.

6. Turn to start.

You may have to "bump" the key in after engine starts to supply additional fuel until warm.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not trying to hijack this thread but i have a question that may help you as well. My choke solonoid has the lever pointing upward kind of toward the rear. I can move it toward the bow and align it straight or parallel with the body of the solonoid, then keep moving it till it is downward pointing toward the ground. So it will move 180 degrees. It seems to work in the position its in as when starting you can push the key in to catch the engine as it stumbles before its warmed up. Its my father in laws boat and since i have had it , its been like this. Motor is a 150 johnson GT 1990 year.

Foresterjohn, i was thinking you use to be my boss cause he was john but spelled as jon, and your writing does not sound like somehing he would have worded the way you do. This has nothing to do with grammer or smartness dont want you to take it like that, its just people will type in a way they speak and he probly would not have said a few of the things you did. IE wife wont go out with me, my jon would not have said that casue he would not have cared.

-ForesterNate

foresterjohn

Cadet

Mine will go 180 degrees as well. does it matter which way the red lever is pointing? It swings down and then points forward.

Clemfor, dont think your buddy is me. Wife packs a great lunch so i like the company. GO PACK!

Attachments

• img_3202.jpg
    img_3202.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nope cause he would have never said go Pack. Not from or went to NCstate. He is from michigan so he would have been go wolverines or whatever the michigan forestry schools mascot is? I think Michigan state is the forestry school, i dont know though.

Myself, go Tigers! Look at my screen name, Clemsonfor= Clemson Forestry.

D

DJ

The picture shown is the normal (RUN) position. 90* to that is the manual start position.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

mine is 90 degrees to that but it turns the other way, meaning when i put it parellel to the body it is positioned 180 degrees from the position of the one in the pic.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Actually mine is just as the position in the pic. I just went and looked. It will spind downward from that position 180 degrees.

foresterjohn

Cadet

Thanks DJ.

I followed your starting instructions but still had to pop the cover, turn it 180 deg and back to release a little pressure and fuel, then fired up. had to do it each time on the lake today. Other than that it runs great. Im getting better at the procedure. Dont even take the cover all of the way off!

if I leave it at 90 deg (or pointed down) it leaks. How does "manual" work?

D

DJ

Replace the solenoid or rebuild it. It is NOT working as it was designed to.

foresterjohn

Cadet

$170 to replace!! looks like time to take it apart, wipe it of and put it back together! thanks for the help.