Talkin' bout my (re)generation!

mscher

Lieutenant
Was a big fan of rock concerts, in the 70's, but the two I attended since then, felt more than a little out of place.

Until last night.

Walked into the beautiful Star Plaza Theatre, In Merriville IN, ordered a frosty $7 beer and settled into confortable seats, to see the 70's progressive rock group "Yes", last seen in concert by me, 33 years ago.

My kind of crowd. Gray beards, saggy busts, fat, skinny, wheel chairs, drooping tattoos. Many (including me) with kids in tow, not really sure what to expect, from a "progressive" rock band.

What we got was balding, white haired men in their 60's, (3 were early band members) who hammered away brilliantly non-stop, for 2 1/2 hours, playing some songs that are well over 18 minutes long (Close to the edge). The lead vocals needed to be handled by a younger voice, but the rest of the band, looked to be having fun, barely breaking a sweat.

The crowd went to the bathroom often, but always came back with another beer. They grooved, clapped, yelled, whistled (from the comfortable seats), like they were from another time. They went nuts over a really great encore. They were smiling. My teenage son, who is a music lover had a great time. I burned some Yes songs to listen to, on the way to the concert.

I decided last night, that I am never going to get old. ;) I did wear my ear plugs, though.

Rock on!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Talkin' bout my (re)generation!

Last saw Yes with my new bride in '91. In the round with pretty well all of the various members: Anderson, Squire, Howe, Rabin, Kaye, Wakeman, Bruford, and White. Heck-of-a-show.
I liked the comfy seats too. I can't believe some of the general admission stuff that I went through early on when I was young and could handle it!
Camping out for tickets
Getting in line 6 hours before the show
Getting trampled
Fights up front
Heat Stroke
Getting puked on

Of course the tickets were MUCH cheaper then!

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Steve Howe still play with them , he could not be replaced , genius on the guitar. I saw them the first time in 1977 in Springfield Mass.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Yup, I spent a fair amount of my time at rock concerts in the 70's too, mostly in Montreal, Canada. A lot of time it felt like going to a big party.

The shows I've seen since, a few in the 90's and some in the last 10 years were different affairs entirely. The thing I like less about going to them now is just that it does remind me how much my body has changed since those fun "old days".:D Creaks and cracks, moans and groans!

But I gotta say, that the quality of the music from a lot of the old groups has increased quite a bit. Days were when you would go to a show in the 70's and feel ripped off because the band would be so drunk or stoned that they could hardly play, took your money, and you really got ripped off. A lot of the bands who survived and are still at it, are much more professional and you really get a show. It's a really good classic band whose music now can get you to feel the same old excitement, and you know you're going to get your money's worth. A couple I have to mention who have done that are Edgar Winter and Grand Funk. One of the most excellent and professional performers I have ever seen is the great BB King.

It's kind of funny now that sometimes the sound you're hearing doesn't match the visuals you see on stage!:D:D

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Never guess who we are off to see in December...The Eagles....as a family....I'm in my early 60's, the wife is coming too, and it all happened due to the pestering by our youngest, who at 16yrs, loves them....as we do too of course.

He is out there at the moment playing Hotel California on the guitar; he idolizes Joe Walsh, and John Fogerty.

As you said, these old bands have got really good and appeal to many generations, and wow, is it costing some bucks!!

Cheers
Phillip

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i throughly enjoyed an Eagles concert here last year.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A friend of mine just told me is going to an Elton John concert in Prince George, British Columbia of all places!

He said Elton John's partner is from that area, not sure if that is true.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

wow, is it costing some bucks!!

Ha ha, yup. I remember my first concert ever in 1973, at the Montreal Forum (gone), $5.00 at the door to see King Crimson and Johnny Winter. I was hooked.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I worked security for Yes in 1984. Great concert with an encore that included their rendition of the Peter Gunn theme.

kei9th

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I worked security for Yes in 1884. Great concert with an encore that included their rendition of the Peter Gunn theme.

damn man your old as dirt. i didnt think Yes was around in 1884.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

I've been to more Yes concerts than I can count, last one about five years ago, and by golly the old farts can still get er done!:D