not pumping water???

mnmike3

Seaman
I have a 86 force 125 that had 2 dead cylinders, I just bought a chrysler 115 power head for $250 got it switched over to my force leg/lower unit and then had a bad ignition switch. I rigged the ignition switch so it would work till I get a new one. the new power head fires right up but its not pumping water.

I had it running for a few seconds on the muffs at idle and have also installed a telltale as per instructions on the forum but nothing is coming out of the telltale. I don't want to run it anymore till I get water flowing. what could cause this problem? Impeller? water pump? something different? I assume water should be coming out as soon as it starts right? I did double check top make sure the muffs were on the right spots.

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
Re: not pumping water???

I would first pull the L/U and check the condition of the impeller and all the seals and gaskets involing the water pump. When you installed the new powerhead was the water tube connected. Another thought, there may be a clog inside the head. I would ask the seller if there were any problems (water flow) when he had it.

Tom

mnmike3

Seaman

I was told the motor was running just fine with no problems what so ever last summer so I would assume that means it was pumping water. I guess I'll have to pull the lower unit and check out the impeller. if the water tub wasn't connected will I need to pull the powerhead off to hook it back up? if the water tube wasn't hooked up would I be getting water somewhere else as long as the water pump is pumping?

mnmike3

Seaman

Ok got the motor pumping water now. took lower unit off disassembled impeller housing cleaned everything extremely well and lubed impeller with some dish soap then took a garden hose and sprayed up the water tube till water came out the telltale put everything back together and it works. Since its a holdiay I couldn't go get a new impeller but i will do so when I go pick up the 1 control cable I need and a new plug for the back of the boat then this "free" boat will be ready for the lake, won't be pretty but that comes after I know its seaworthy which i have no doubt it will be