Drive lube Leak

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok guys heres the new one--- filled her up with new lube alpha one gen2 and shes weeping lube from the gear housing water drain hole on both the port and starboard side page 1 B-9 on manual.I would imagine theres a faulty seal.

I pulled the drive again .

i had some time learning how to get the drive back on in my last thread at least i kinda no what im doing now with that.

So any ideas ion which seal would cause her to weep lube from thhose water drain holes ? Thanks guys Im sure your all out boating and Im just wishing I was. wo es me..:(

And yes i did a impeller job 2 weeks ago.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Drive lube Leak

Drain the gear lube and pressure check the drive, some soapy water sparyed on the leak will bubble and show you exactly what is leaking.

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

will do . Ill post results thanks don

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

well did the pressure test and found that she was leaking air from the upper where the driveshaft mates with the upper. So I proceeded to call a professional.
Unfortunately he needs to replace my quality workmanship of the waterpump ...no questions asked says its a liabilty for him. bang 225 (understandable) and the upper to dismantle and replace the seal will be min of a c note probably a bit more hopefully not too much but i looked at the expolded view of an actual drive he had on the wall and it looks like pia. He said the race and the bearing up top look good.

I get her back thursday . I think next time Ill hand the drive over it turns out it really wasnt worth my time to work on the drive myself for me. YMMV ----all he does is outdrives hes a professional and a nice guy to boot. Hopefully ill be making a splash this weekend I wouldnt put money on it but ill post an update.
he did say it was possible that when i put the drive together i might have knocked the seal loose with the drive shaft. I dont think i did but I just might of done that either way im done with it.

Cant wait to reinstall the drive:rolleyes: and make all the adjustments. Got bunks to change trailer lights to solder ...cant wait:rolleyes: oh yeah forgot up trim is on the fritz...yay

ill be back.