Dies at low speeds

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
Hello,
Trying to back away from the dock or pull into the trailer, the motor will just shut off, unless I give it gas. After starting, it runs great in neutral at idle speed, but put it in gear it dies. I need to rev it in neutral, bring it back to idle and real fast put in to gear and give it gas. Once I'm out of the no wake zone, she runs like there's no tomorrow. At full throutle I got up the 50mph. The motor sounded smooth, no bucking, no hesitation, no missing. Ran great. It likes to go fast not slow. I think the carbs are dirty they were never cleaned out for over 2 years. Would dirty carbs cause this?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Dies at low speeds

Do you have a tach? Try increasing your idle speed screw. Forward gear rpm should be between 700-800. Neutral around 1000-1100. 50mph is real good.

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, no working tach. I think my recticfier is bad or the stator. I'm am not seeing increase in volts at higher rpms, so my battery isn't charging. I get continuity from the signal wire on the back of the tach to the green wire going up to the stator.

Force engine_0001C.jpg

Tom

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What year, hp motor? If not producing enough voltage to recharge the battery test the stator first. do you have a manual? Factory service manual (got mine on ebay) has all the procedures. If you don't I can scan and email to you if you like.
Whats the battery condition?