Another Prop Question

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Hurricane Guys,

I've already posted this question in the "Props" section, but thought I'd ask here also, since I'm looking for a prop for a Hurricane.

Here is my current setup:
Boat: Hurricane Sundeck 2100 (21 foot fiberglass deck boat)
Engine: Yamaha F150 TXR (2008)
Prop: Yamaha Reliance SS prop 17(P) x 14.25(D)
RPM at WOT: 5600 (originally I thought my Max RPM was 4800, but found out I had a faulty gauge thanks to a suggestion from someone on this forum I had it checked out and replaced).
Max Speed at WOT: 40 mph (with 2 people on boat and full tank of gas)
Prop Slip: (11% if I used the calculator correctly).

First question: I'm pretty happy with my max speed, but wouldn't mind more.....:) But what I would primarily like to improve (if possible) is to reduce the speed that the boat will stay on plane, and improve the smoothness as the boat comes out of the hole. I pull my kids on wake boards, and it seems that the speed they like is right where the boat will fall off plane, so keeping the boat at this speed is a battle. If I could just reduce the planing speed by 1 or 2 mph it would really help. A local guy has recommended a 4 or 5 blade prop, and I think NelsonQ had also made this recommendation here in the Hurricane forum. What do you guys think? Please give me specific prop brands if possible. I would like to stay with a SS prop, but will consider aluminum or composite if there is an advantage.

Second question is that I have managed to really ding up my current Yamaha SS prop by running it through a rocky sandbar. The prop still performs well, but the edges are really nicked with a few very small dents. I want to get it repaired. Could someone recommend a repair shop (I'm in central NC, but I would be happy to use an online repair place if there is one that does quality work).

Thanks in advance for any help!

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: Another Prop Question

I added Smart Tabs on my boat. I can stay on-plane @ 15-20 mph pulling a tube with the same prop. I had them on my Bayliner as well... Best money I've ever spent on a boat.

I think the prop we both are running is perfect for our boat. I'm now getting 5800 trimmed-up at WOT, and this is command link data.

A prop shop should be able to smooth out the dings on your prop.

stuff%20030.jpg

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: Another Prop Question

Ernest

I'm with Bear on this one. You're propped right (verify here for comparison of props. http://www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/prop-selector/#)

By no means do you need to buy a Mercury brand prop but gives you a good comparison of the pitch to run. I ran your #s (hopefully correctly) and got a recommended 3 or 4 blade in the same diameter, and a 17 to 18" pitch.

So a 4 blade will give you better hole shot, better grip in the turns for watersports.

However, if you wanted to achieve plane at slower speeds, Bear's suggestion on trim tabs is bang on.

Hope this helps. Can't help you on the prop shop, I'm in Canada....

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Learn Something New Everytime I Check Out This Forum

Learn Something New Everytime I Check Out This Forum

Wow! You guys give me some new tip or useful info. every time I ask a question on this forum. I really like the Smart Tab idea. It looks like nice solution to reducing planing speed without having to worry about swapping out props for different situations.

With my current prop, I'm getting good efficiency, and top end speed is good. Hole shot is not bad. I just fall off plane around 20 mph, and my daughter likes to wake board around 16-19 mph, so maintaing that speed is difficult.

I may look at getting a cheap Aluminum prop as a backup while I have my Yamaha prop repaired.

Had a nice day out on the lake today.

Bear, did you do the Smart Tab installation yourself?

Thanks again guys for the help!