Need New Prop Recommendation and Old Prop Repair Help

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I am a new boater (please forgive less than smart questions), and I have 2 concerns:

Here is my current setup:
Boat: Hurricane Sundeck 2100 (21 foot fiberglass deck boat)
Engine: Yamaha F150 TXR (2008)
Prop: Yamaha Reliance SS prop 17(P) x 14.25(D)
RPM at WOT: 5600
Max Speed at WOT: 40 mph (with 2 people on boat and full tank of gas)
Prop Slip: (11% if I used the calculator correctly).

First question: I'm pretty happy with my max speed, but wouldn't mind more....:). But what I would primarily like to improve (if possible) is to reduce the speed that the boat will stay on plane, and improve the smoothness as the boat comes out of the hole. I pull my kids on wake boards, and it seems that the speed they like is right where the boat will fall off plane, so keeping the boat at this speed is a battle. If I could just reduce the planing speed by 1 or 2 mph it would really help. A local guy has recommended a 4 or 5 blade prop......what is the recommendation here? Please give me specific prop brands if possible. I would like to stay with a SS prop, but will consider aluminum or composite if there is an advantage.

Second question is that I have managed to really ding up my current Yamaha SS prop by running it through a rocky sandbar. The prop still performs well, but the edges are really nicked with a few very small dents. I want to get it repaired. Could someone recommend a repair shop (I'm in central NC, but I would be happy to use an online repair place if there is one that does quality work).

Thanks in advance for any help!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need New Prop Recommendation and Old Prop Repair Help

Generally a 4 blade will help you stay on plane easier,will run smoother,better hole shot,better no wake control.Also may allow a higher stup for the motor.
Same brand stainless will usually produce more predictable results.Drop to a 16"

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Generally a 4 blade will help you stay on plane easier,will run smoother,better hole shot,better no wake control.Also may allow a higher stup for the motor.
Same brand stainless will usually produce more predictable results.Drop to a 16"

So a 4 blade 16 pitch (down 1 from my 3 blade 17) and the same diameter as my 3 blade (14.25) would be the best bet?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Diameter isn't important as long as the prop is intended for your setup.
It is typically reccomended to drop 1" in pitch when going to a 4 blade.
Any prop change is a educated guess.
Normally as pitch goes down diameter goes up.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your help. Approximately how much of a change in RPM should I expect going from a 3 to a 4 blade if I drop 1 in pitch (17 to 16). Does RPM generally increase or decrease in this situation?

Thanks.