Silicon grease

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone ever used Dow silicon grease on there outdrive re-assembly? I put it on all the gaskets and o-rings and it seems to work fine. It holds everything in place during assembly, serves as a water sealant and since it never cures like RTV dis-assembly is easy. I was thinking of using it on the coupler since it,s viscosity is more stable than regular grease. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Silicon grease

Yes, it makes a great assembly lube on any o-ring or seal. I use it all the time, even on propshaft seals.I don't recall if it was DOW brandname or not, but it is silicone grease,used in electronics RF assemblies (which is why I have it layin-around).<br /><br />It werks great for sealing waterproof camera lenses too. And it is inert,so it wont eat rubber or synthetics.

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks 12 Footer, I also found another great use for it. It really works great on the trim cylinder bushings, makes the trim smooth as silk.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Also in the connector sleeves of electrical connections (it keeps the water out). This is the goo inside those connector buttons the phone company uses.