easier way to start a small outboard

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
I like to work on small Johnson and Evinrude outboard motors as a hobby. I was wondering if anyone has ever used an electric drill with a 3/4 socket to spin the flywheel and start a motor that way? Sounds crazy but I have a bad shoulder and am looking for an easier way to start small motors (under 25hp).:rolleyes: Call me lazy but age is taking it's toll.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: easier way to start a small outboard

And when it starts it rips the drill out of your hand.....throws the socket into your head........ it's not a good idea.

Why not convert the small outboard to electric start?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Hate to disagree with you Bob, but I use a drill/socket all of the time for the little motors when I'm reviving them from the grave. Doesn't mean it's absolutely safe, but my 19V cordless drill appears to spin faster than the motor does at idle. If a drill is needed for normal operation, then something is terribly wrong.
I wouldn't try to use a drill for anything more than a 10 hp, though.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

I've used a drill with good success...but I too am worried when the motor starts to kick. A lot could go wrong! I also make a small mark on the flywheel & nut to make sure the drill is not over torquing the nut. A quick visual check will show any movement with any displacement of the marks.

Mas

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try it anyway. Send flowers and contributions to Mike's Small Motors P.O. Box......