too much gas?

tacodads

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a 71 100hp rude. When I start thr engine it runs very rough. I've got to give it more throttle and then it will start revving faster and smoke alot. Then it will run fine. Yesterday, after sitting overnight, I started her up without the choke. It backfired, before starting a couple of times, then started like above. Your ab\dvice is greatly appreciated.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: too much gas?

Sounds kinda normal.
Is this engine new to you, has it always started this way, what kind of shape are the spark plugs in?

tacodads

Seaman Apprentice

Revived after 7 years last fall. Replaced the plugs then. The motor just started doing this a few weeks ago. does the fogging oil wreck the plugs?
Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I have never had fogging damage plugs. I wounder if the carbs are leaking fuel into the manifolds after it sets for awhile, causing the rough running and all the smoke.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

To correct internal leaks in the carbs, they will have to come off and be overhauled. Most likely a needle and seat problem.

tacodads

Seaman Apprentice

Not what I wanted to hear, mid season. Oh well. If I don't fix this now, will it wreck the engine?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Another thought, you might want to check the fuel pump line that goes to the engine block for fuel in it, leaking fuel pump, allowing gas into the cylinder.
You can probably run it that way if you can get it started and it will clean itself out and run properly.

tacodads

Seaman Apprentice

Started up good today, ran great. It starts every time, so maybe too rich?